Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plex, SMP, armel, and itty bitty processors...

Posted by rmleonard 
Plex, SMP, armel, and itty bitty processors...
November 05, 2015 02:15PM
I have two GoFlex Homes(totally hacked, and in pieces), a GoFlex Central (rooted, holds all of the house media), a handfull of Raspberry Pis...

Has anyone heard of (or tried) to set up plex with transcoding such that it uses Raspis, and GoFlexs and such.. to transcode media?
is there a SMP kernel or kernel extension that can be added to the armel GoFlexs to feed the Pi?

I've seen the "superComputer" Raspi - where they link a gazillion Pi boards together to build a cosmic computer....

Time isn't the issue - capability is....
I could grab a battery UPS, have the 5-10 itty bitty devices running 24/7 as a home theater / media transcoding beastie...

a Raspi w/ XBMC or PLEX as the front end, the Seagate Central as the Storehouse... then everything else as CPUs for grinding/transcoding media... and it would be quiet, and take very little power....

I played with Dauger Research's "Pooch" (waaaaaay back when) ( http://daugerresearch.com/index.shtml )
maybe there is something kinda like that for armel processing, or something built into wheezy/debian that could handle that functionality...
then getting PLEX to be aware of multiple CPUs sitting on the network waiting for processes to be tossed their way....

is such a thing possible?

Rich
Re: Plex, SMP, armel, and itty bitty processors...
November 06, 2015 12:28PM
i understand what you are trying to acheive,

can i offer the alternative of minidlna as your server of choice to feed the stuff via upnp/dlna

thats something that is acheivable with the goflex boxes or you could just use xbmc on the raspi and share the library out

any and all of these should work

GeeXboX, an open source lightweight media center for Linux that supports DLNA

Mediatomb, an open source DLNA server for Linux.

ReadyMedia (formerly known as MiniDLNA) is a simple media server software, with the aim of being fully compliant with DLNA/UPnP-AV clients. It is developed by a NETGEAR employee for the ReadyNAS product line.

Rygel, an open-source media server, part of the GNOME Live! project

VortexBox is a free, open source (GPL v3),

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 12:31PM by Gravelrash.
Re: Plex, SMP, armel, and itty bitty processors...
November 14, 2015 01:52AM
I'm running plex on PogoPlug and it runs great. I'm running web plex and plex starts playing in external player, in my case it is MPC-HC. I'm able to play any kind of movies with any kind of format using Plex. For home use it is ideal setup. PogoPlug will not work outside your network. Forget about DLNA it's just useless. Plex is the way to go for home network with PogoPlug or similar devices. Here is the code and it needs the modifications to suit your network https://github.com/Almazick/PlexExternalPlayer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 01:57AM by Almaz.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.