Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Logitech Media Server plea, please

Posted by notoneofmyseeds 
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 05:32AM
notoneofmyseeds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about the option to just build Daniel's
> (https://server.vijge.net/static/squeezebox/arm-li
> nux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz) into a .deb
> file. That has all that's needed.
>
> Many thanks.


from digging around inside the .deb file and the compressed file you linked. I believe that You dont need to package it.

You could just simply extract the compressed file to its embedded ./auto/ directory
Then move the contents therein to overwrite the files in the /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/ folder with these extracted files and folders. then restart



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 05:37AM by Gravelrash.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 06:10AM
Thanks for your comments.

That "auto" directory is the main directory after extraction.

And within it a bunch of other directories. So, it's not possible to extract the original .tar into it. It is produced after the extraction. But if you know how I could do this, please say.

The solution, or the main one anyway, is to compile this .tar.gz file int0 a .deb file. And then I wil; use dpkg -i to install.
https://server.vijge.net/static/squeezebox/arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz

Alternatively, if someone know how I could install LMS by using the files from that link, wihtout compiling. Some in this forum have done this before, as I linked earlier.

I do not have this directory: /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/

And that has been part of the problem.

Many thanks.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 06:38AM
Since last year, this issue with Perl has remained. I doubt it will ever be released officially. The folks at slimserver compiled for other platforms and left out armel. I don't know why.

However, the link I've provided with the file is infact a contribution by one of the main developers in that forum.

And so I thought it's worth the risk.

Thanks everyone. More work on this continues....
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 07:44AM
Gravelrash,

I thank you, a lot for your efforts. I am not sure, but in this thread, I'd mentioned that, based on suggestion from bohdi, I'd not done the work needed to be done to move to system.d

Now I'm in between effecting system.d to try your work here. Or, install 7.8.0, with all it's troubles, as we can't get help converting the files posted earlier for 7.9.0. to .deb

I'm indebted with your help, however.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 07:58AM
notoneofmyseeds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The folks at slimserver compiled for
> other platforms and left out armel. I don't know
> why.

! - probably because there are faster platforms with more memory, at very low prices.

eg OrangePi One

BananaPi


to create the folder /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/

as root
mkdir -p /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN

to move the contents of the extracted file from ./auto to the above folder once extracted

from the extracted directory issue the following

mv * /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mv-command-howto-move-folder-in-linux-terminal/

if you absolutely want those files packing into a .deb file, then i will do it, however, you must provide me with the full path of where you want the installed files to go - i can do this over the weekend.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 08:11AM by Gravelrash.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 08:18AM
Gravelrash,

Thanks a million. I had not created past /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/, because CPAN is Perl's directory and my version of Perl should have created that path, without me creating an empty folder. I have Perl installed. I think it's version 5.20, which is the version that's needed in Jessie for LMS to work. But this Perl issue is an older issue that was fixed in LMS 7.9.0, except after that, they did not bother to compile LMS for armel. Hence our problem.

So, can you confirm that I can simply create a directory with "CPAN" at the end, as you've suggested. I had created the directory earlier, and stopped at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver and extracted into that, but it did not work. It won't start.

I think with bohdi's rootfs, we need to find out into which directory those files should be extracted to. I have tried studying the directory structure before, but since I do not have LMS installed, it's hard to say.

As regards providing you the full path, to be frank, bohdi would need to help us on this one, as I don't know. Can you study your install directories for LMS and see where stuff went?

I don't really need the .deb, I just need to know where and how to extract the files. You have convered some of that here now. Not knowing that, I had thought then simply getting the .deb files and using dkpg would do it.

Thanks a lot for your continuing support.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 10:10AM
notoneofmyseeds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravelrash,
>
> Thanks a million. I had not created past
> /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/, because CPAN is
> Perl's directory and my version of Perl should
> have created that path, without me creating an
> empty folder.

? - perl wouldnt create that path, your installation .deb file would have ?

I have Perl installed. I think it's
> version 5.20, which is the version that's needed
> in Jessie for LMS to work. But this Perl issue is
> an older issue that was fixed in LMS 7.9.0, except
> after that, they did not bother to compile LMS for
> armel. Hence our problem.

from what i read, and from what you indicate, if you install the 7.9.0 and overwrite with the files you have posted then it should "automagically work"

> So, can you confirm that I can simply create a
> directory with "CPAN" at the end, as you've
> suggested. I had created the directory earlier,
> and stopped at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver and
> extracted into that, but it did not work. It won't
> start.

i can neither confirm not deny - i don't use LMS

> I think with bohdi's rootfs, we need to find out
> into which directory those files should be
> extracted to. I have tried studying the directory
> structure before, but since I do not have LMS
> installed, it's hard to say.
> As regards providing you the full path, to be
> frank, bohdi would need to help us on this one, as
> I don't know. Can you study your install
> directories for LMS and see where stuff went?
> I don't really need the .deb, I just need to know
> where and how to extract the files. You have
> convered some of that here now. Not knowing that,
> I had thought then simply getting the .deb files
> and using dkpg would do it.

You need to bit the bullet here and install the .deb package you have for 7.9.0 and then you can install the "patch" over the top. Bodhi is seriously busy on this forum being the main man and you will need to have a go with this as best you can, or bite the bullet and build a wheezy installation, i will do my best to assist, but you will be the one doing the installation and testing. We may come to a point where its not resolvable and you really must then go onto the LMS forums to find further assistance, as bodhi indicated in an earlier post.


if the path is as you describe and is the same match as found in the 7.8.0 (and i have no reason to doubt that it will be different). If the packaged files dont cure the problem - there is no further i can take this.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 10:12AM by Gravelrash.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 03:23PM
just about to crack on and repack the .deb file for 7.9.0

however, have you noted the latest version available? These may be worth trying...

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9 : logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1466175427_all.deb (i386, x86_64, ARM EABI, PowerPC)

regardless, i have packaged those files you mentioned into the folder you listed and thats as far as i can take this.
linky here : logitechmediaserver-patch.deb

Let me know if this works or not and i will either remove the link or find some better way of sharing it

Steps to take -
install your 7.9.0 deb file then install the patch.deb over the top - tjat seems to match what i have read on the forum post you gave



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 03:50PM by Gravelrash.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 03:32PM
notoneofmyseeds,

Best way to do this is: create a new rootfs on USB drive (wheezy or jessie where appropriate). Do all the experiments on it and keep a log. Backup as you go, when you think it is messed up and you've lost track then just restore the last backup. You might do many iterations until you get a good installation. And then go back to your log and make clean procedure, do real installation on your rootfs.

Garvelrash can provide great helps, but you need to go on your own and post what you think you should do, ask questions,...

By the time you're all done, you'll have a LMS tutorial that everybody can benefit from :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 03:41PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> notoneofmyseeds,
>
> Best way to do this is: create a new rootfs on USB
> drive (wheezy or jessie where appropriate). Do all
> the experiments on it and keep a log.
> Backup as you go, when you think it is messed up
> and you've lost track then just restore the last
> backup. You might do many iterations until you get
> a good installation. And then go back to your log
> and make clean procedure, do real installation on
> your rootfs.


+ 1 (.000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000)


> By the time you're all done, you'll have a LMS
> tutorial that everybody can benefit from :)

+ 1 (.000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000)





@bodhi
"Garvelrash can provide great helps"
:o) you been having a tipple?? I may get mistaken for someone who know what they are doing :o)
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 05:55PM
> :o) you been having a tipple??

Too early in the day for that :))

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 06:22PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > :o) you been having a tipple??
>
> Too early in the day for that :))

Care to share?

WTF is tipple....I realize my geezerhood may prevent me from being aware of modern euphemisms.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 17, 2016 07:40PM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bodhi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > :o) you been having a tipple??
> >
> > Too early in the day for that :))
>
> Care to share?
>
> WTF is tipple....I realize my geezerhood may
> prevent me from being aware of modern euphemisms.

Lol :)) Slang for alchoholic drink in this context.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 18, 2016 11:23AM
Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the thread but I hope I can be helpful. I scanned the thread, so I hope I'm not repeating anything someone else has said. But this is what I've done on my pogoplugs to run not only the server but the Squeezelite client.

I'll put my instructions here and hope that they are understandable for everyone.

These instructions are for Debian on a Pogoplug, but I believe I have Arch instructions as well. They should be just about the same.

Apt-get –f install
Apt-get install perl

The next line will change, daily. The directory you want is :

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/

The one for today, would be listed as

wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/858e1e0/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1466175427_arm.deb

dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1466175427_arm.deb

I know it's a nightly, but it works fine by me. I suppose if it doesn't work you could go back to a previous build.

After that I have the following :

apt-get install libjpeg8 libpng12-0 libgif4 libexif12 libswscale2 libavcodec53
#make music and playlist folder
mkdir -p /media/usb/share/music
mkdir -p /media/usb/share/playlist
#update permissions
chmod 777 /media/usb/share/music
chmod 777 /media/usb/share/playlist

Obviously you can omit the music and playlist folders if you're doing something else.

That, as far as my notes indicate, should be it. It seems, to me at least, almost too simple. I'm going to go back and read the entire thread and see what's going on so that I can more properly see what's going on here for everyone. But I guess I should note that simply having the server is one thing, but it needs a client before anything else will work.

I have instructions on how to get a Squeezelite client to work on Debian as well.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 18, 2016 03:12PM
@mxhdrm

thankyou for this. presume that your instructions work on Debian Jessie? on the kirkwood platform?

please when you have checked your notes start a new thread entitled

HOWTO: Logitech Media Player & Squeezelite Player (Jessie)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 03:15PM by Gravelrash.
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 20, 2016 07:41AM
@notoneofmyseeds

any joy or feedback?
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 21, 2016 03:33AM
@ mxhdrm

I assume you dis this on wheezy? There it works perfectly. But not on Jessie? I tried it (with the arm as well as the all deb of 7.9 nightly - by the way running nicely and stable on Wheezy) but I get the perl errors (see http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,28677 for details).

For the moment I am giving up and stay with Wheezy.

Cheers,

Rainer

===========================
Blog: https://rmkrug.wordpress.com/

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): Logitech media server

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): FTP server only (throw away configuration - quick to rebuild)

1 x GoFlex Net: running OpenMediaVault
Re: A Logitech Media Server plea, please
June 22, 2016 04:25PM
mxhdrm,

> I'm
> going to go back and read the entire thread and
> see what's going on so that I can more properly
> see what's going on here for everyone. But I guess
> I should note that simply having the server is one
> thing, but it needs a client before anything else
> will work.

I'd suggested that you look at notoneofmyseeds thread, too:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,28737

I've added both posts to the Debian Wiki sticky thread.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Author:

Your Email:


Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: