Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HowTo Install Logitech Media Server on armel and Jessie

Posted by notoneofmyseeds 
HowTo Install Logitech Media Server on armel and Jessie
June 22, 2016 02:42PM
Install Logitech Media Server, LMS

LMS 7.9 has not been officially released yet. But someone has compiled a version of it for armel processors. The file is found here:

Link to compiled armel version of LMS 7.9.0

But there are no detailed instructions on how to use it. The only direction is:
“extract to /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20/"

If you go to your Terminal now and cd to: /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20
you will get:
-bash: cd: /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20: No such file or directory

First we install LMS 7.9.0, even though we know it would not work because the link to the nightly below here is not compiled for armel. The idea is to give us the directory structure we need to extract the compiled version into. And this is a crucial bit of information not provided in the link above.

PLEASE NOTE: The download link below here might now work. As LeggoMyEggo pointed out below, the link changes often. It's the nightly build. The best way to resolve this problem is go here:

Nightly build link to LMS

Then right click on "Logitech Media Server: Debian Installer Package (i386, x86_64, ARM EABI, PowerPC)" then if you're using Firefox, do "Copy Link Location," paste the result in a text document, and then add "wget" in front of that result and that will be your download link. I believe that will give you the latest build link. Use that instead of the one below here, which you should now use as a reference to compare with your results.

wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/858e1e0/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1466175427_all.deb
dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1465358341_all.deb

You are mostly likely to get a dependency error. Follow through with the directions and do:

apt-get -f install

Perl will be happy and your version of it might be: 5.20.2-3+deb8u5
And now the needed directory we need is created, you can check using, again:

cd: /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20

Stop server:
service logitechmediaserver stop

And you can tell your current install won't work by issuing:
service logitechmediaserver start

You are likely to get:

"Making sure that Logitech Media Server is not running first: start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 10653: No such process
No process in pidfile '/var/run/logitechmediaserver.pid' found running; none killed.
Starting Logitech Media Server."

Despite that last line, if you cd to /var/log/squeezeboxserver
and then:
nano: server.log,
you will find plenty of this line:
2016-06-18 22:42:32 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.
2016-06-18 22:42:37 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.
2016-06-18 22:42:42 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.
2016-06-18 22:42:47 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.
2016-06-18 22:42:52 Logitech Media Server died. Restarting.

To fix this, go to the Terminal

The first thing we do here is add a normal user to the system. So far, after the install of Jessie with bohdi's rootfs ‘Debian-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2”, “root” is the only user. And root is not a normal user, it's a super-user: the maker and destroyer of all things Linux.

adduser (YOUR CHOSEN USER NAME)

Follow the prompts and accept defaults, or play around with more additions from here:
Add user to Debian

Then: cd /tmp, this is where you will download the compiled version of LMS 7.9 for Jessie on armel
wget http://server.vijge.net/static/squeezebox/arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz

Then you extract it to the directory we needed and created earlier. This one: /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20

tar -xf arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz -C /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20

And finally, reboot the box:
reboot -n

If you're lucky as I was, LMS 7.9 is now working. And you can test by entering the IP address of your box: X.X.X.X:9000 in your browser. And there you will see the web-interface you will use to configure the server.

I've done what's described here and it works for me. I was able to listen to music from a USB stick. During configuration, if you external drive is mounted to media, you will find it there, along with your tunes, videos, pictures, etc. You don't need to monkey around with fstab for the server. But you should ensure your USB sticks or hard drive are mounting, or have mounted.

As regards this, I've chosen to use fstab for now, as USBmount is no longer supported. I got irritated with pmount, which is another alternative being maintained.

Before I go, thanks to bohdi, Gravelash and others who pushed me down the river on this one. I learned a few things along the way. And no damage was done. Now I have two USB sticks with installed and configured packages. If one fails, I simply plug the other and change directory settings, etc. Plenty more to learn, so off I go.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 02:39AM by notoneofmyseeds.
Re: HowTo Install Logitech Media Server on armel and Jessie
June 22, 2016 04:08PM
notoneofmyseeds,

> As regards this, I've chosen to use fstab for now,
> as USBmount is no longer supported. I got
> irritated with pmount, which is another
> alternative being maintained.

Even if usbmount is no longer supported, it is such a simple function, I don't see if it is in any danger of breaking. It is OK to use.

Or you can switch to using autofs which is pretty good. You can automount USB, NFS, and Samba with autofs.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
June 22, 2016 08:21PM
Instructions worked for me on a Guruplug running OEM Debian Jessie with two exceptions. The download link you provided timed out so the one I used for the server deb package was 'wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.9/sc/f67047a/logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1466571941_all.deb';. That link can change daily so go here to get the latest file package link url. Also I needed to omit the first '/' (which I have bolded) in the command 'tar -xf arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int.tar.gz -C '/' /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/arch/5.20' .

It works and that is what is important. Good job :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 08:33PM by LeggoMyEggo.
June 22, 2016 10:26PM
> It works and that is what is important. Good job
> :)

Yes, indeed. Thanks notoneofmyseeds :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
June 23, 2016 02:42AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > It works and that is what is important. Good
> job
> > :)
>
> Yes, indeed. Thanks notoneofmyseeds :)

bohdi and LeggoMyEggo; thanks for your compliments.

bohdi; you have been such great help, as well as others, it was the least I could do.

I have made the changes LeggoMyEggo pointed out. Both were errors I should have noticed.

All should be good now.
June 23, 2016 04:49AM
!!...HURRAH...!! A working installation and instructions on how to do this + tested feedback

*** WELL DONE ALL ***

as my packaged .deb is not needed I will remove it from dropbox - thought i had better say that in case someone goes looking for it :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 04:51AM by Gravelrash.
June 23, 2016 07:34AM
FYI, I also enabled squeezelite on the same device running logitechmediaserver and both services running together seem to behave fine. I'll tuck the Guruplug it's running on someplace out of the way and control it's play either from the desktop or from Squeezer on my Android phone. Cool.
June 24, 2016 11:15AM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FYI, I also enabled squeezelite on the same device
> running logitechmediaserver and both services
> running together seem to behave fine. I'll tuck
> the Guruplug it's running on someplace out of the
> way and control it's play either from the desktop
> or from Squeezer on my Android phone. Cool.

LeggoMyEggo:
I've seen mentions of squeezelite, but was so focused on LMS, I did not pay much attention. What do you use it for, please? What are its features, was installation a simple apt-get install squeezelite?

Gravelrash:
Thanks for the compliments. Simply pleased to give back.
Thanks notoneofmyseeds, bodhi, and Gravelrash. I followed this to get LMS working on my jessie install.
January 12, 2018 07:08AM
guys, please lead me in the right direction... ;-)

I have downloaded an deb package for arm from here

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v7.9.0/

but the binaries aren't working correctly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 11:39AM by lille.
January 17, 2018 11:25AM
the developer answered me and just fyi

Michael
> root@lms:~# perl -v
>
> This is perl 5, version 24, subversion 1 (v5.24.1) built for
> arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int

Unfortunately we don't have support for this platform yet. You'll have
to try to build yourself.

--

Michael

the pre-compiled binaries in the debian packages for arm won't work on armel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 11:40AM by lille.
January 19, 2018 11:19AM
I've built a debian package with bodhis latest Debian stretch Kirkwood rootfs on my NSA325.

It's an 41M file but because of the file size I unfortunately can't attach it here for sharing. I do not use any cloud services for uploading files but I am for sure willing to share my created deb package of the LMS.
Victor Lopez
September 10, 2018 05:02PM
Hi Lille, how can I get a copy of your debian package???

Thanks in advance

VL
October 08, 2018 03:59AM
id recomend sticking it up on github
Could you please share your .deb for Stretch?
September 15, 2019 12:44PM
I just got LMS running on the Dell Kace M300 using Bohdi's Jessie file system and his 5.2.9-tld-2 kernel for the M300, following (more or less) the process from @notoneofmyseeds. I created the /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/... directory structure and extracted the "compiled armel version" into the 5.20 directory. Turns out this compiled version is only the perl 5.20 modules for armel, e.g,. kirkwood. One directory, named arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int is created in the 5.20 directory; the armel indicator being the absence of "hf" on the gnueabi element.

I then downloaded and installed the LMS 7.9.2 nightly, got the dependency problems, and eventually resolved them by running apt-get update. Key point, is update the package lists before doing anything like this. The install then ran, accepted my existing directory structure and the 5.20 directory now included directories for other architectures as well as our armel version.

All of this was done as root, so I think root is the owner. I created another user, didn't do anything else, rebooted and LMS was running. I'm listening to internet radio while typing this.

After this, I think that all that is needed to run on different Debian versions on armel is to compile the perl modules for the version of perl on the machine. Stretch is perl 5.24 and Buster is 5.28. There are 5.24 and 5.28 modules for architectures other than armel in LMS for this nightly. There are methods on forums.slimdevices.com about building your own stand-alone version of perl and then configuring LMS to use yours rather than its. Too complicated for me at the moment. Also, the LMS_vendor git has a script to build the perl modules but apparently it needs some tweaks and I don't fully understand them.

So, at the moment it is pretty straightforward to get LMS running on Jessie.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.