Advanced

Debian doesnt boot on Dockstar

Posted by yozh 
yozh
Debian doesnt boot on Dockstar
January 21, 2011 11:20PM
Hello,

Need a bit help.

I installed Dockstar Plugbox Linux and it worked fine booted and all. Then I wanted to install Debian Squeeze and install goes thru, but it doesnt boot just sits there and nothing LED is not on. I remove HDD and it boots back to plug, reinstalled Plugbox and it boots. Installed Debian and it doesnt. An ideas ?
ingmar_k
Re: Debian doesnt boot on Dockstar
January 22, 2011 05:09AM
You should probably get either a serial cable or enable netconsole to see what is happening.
Maybe it's just your SSH connection that is not working, but the debian is actually running?
Oh and have a look at the bootcommands in uboot. Maybe there's something wrong. Just use "printenv" to have a look at it, once you get the serial connection Or netconsole.
yozh
January 22, 2011 07:16AM
I really dont think I can get a serial connection. I know its not running because I cant ping the box, (i do have DHCP reservation for it). I guess I can try netconsole. When you saying look at the bootcommands in uboot you mean to boot in original plug firmware ?
ingmar_k
January 22, 2011 07:00PM
I never used netconsole, so I can't really help you there.

What I can tell you is that uboot is the bootloader that starts your operating system. Kind of like a PC's BIOS. With a serial cable (and hopefully with netconsole, too), you'll be able to see the messages run through while the system tries to start. Normally you can halt the starting process and then type in some commands in the uboot's command prompt. ;-) And that's where you would type in "printenv" to check if the entries for all the used bootcommands make sense. Or maybe you see the problem when just watching the system try to boot and throw a error message. I'd say give it a try and then we'll see.
yozh
January 23, 2011 10:31AM
I dont get it. I tried lenny now and still same thing. I can get pluglinux working just fine but any debian install doesnt work. the installer goes thru just fine tells me that latest uboot already installed, could it be that I installed pluglinux first ?
yozh
January 23, 2011 01:07PM
Got it, I guess installing pluglinux first change some uboot parm so I reinstalled uboot from jeffs site (well really just cleared the parm) and reinstalled again and Im running Debian now :)
January 23, 2011 03:55PM
DELETED

- Ray

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 05:37AM by sandbasser.
ingmar_k
January 23, 2011 04:05PM
OK, so it seems that it was a bootparameter that was wrong.
Next time, you could have a thorough look at the uboot environment, like I said. Or even better,do so now, just in case you'll need it again some time. Then you'll know a bit more about it and trouble shooting will probably be a lot easier. ;-)
February 11, 2011 09:30AM
I faced the same problem. Does that mean the only way we deal with it is to reinstall uboot?

Could I keep both them working at the same time?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.