Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't chmod a mounted fat disk

Posted by Gip 
Gip
Can't chmod a mounted fat disk
January 22, 2011 06:04AM
Hello, I followed the guide to install Debian on the Dockstar and I want to thank you all guys for the great work. I'm still quite noob, so please forgive me if I'm asking a silly question but I've been searching around a lot and read man pages but I can't find the answer.

I have installed transmission torrent client, and the demon starts from /etc/init.d as "debian-transmission" user (group is "debian-transmission"). When I try to download a file, it stops with error "Permission denied" with the path of the file.
It looks like the user "debian-transmission" does't have the permission to access that folder, because if I run transmission as root everyting works OK.

That destination folder is an external usb HDD formatted in FAT32 and mounted with autofs. I read that FAT32 doesn't support group permissions, and that should be the reason why I can't CHMOD or CHOWN the folder to "debian-transmission".
I tried to edit "/etc/auto.master"as someone suggested, but it looks like I can't get it right. Here is the autofs conf line:

/media /etc/auto.removable --timeout=180,defaults,sync,nodev,nosuid,users,umask=000

and here is the "/etc/auto.removable":

bckhd1 -fstype=auto :/dev/disk/by-label/HITACHI

What steps should I take now?
Thank you all
Best regards
Gip
Re: Can't chmod a mounted fat disk
February 06, 2011 05:20AM
I think I've tried almost all Autofs options, but I still cant't figure this out.... Can someone help me please? :(
John Doe
Re: Can't chmod a mounted fat disk
February 06, 2011 10:05AM
It is impossible to chmod files on file systems which have no ownership attributes. You can only set this for the whole file system at mount time.

I don't know if there is an autofs specific problem, but the mount options for setting the ownership information which are used for all files on file systems that don't support per-file/folder ownership information are uid=value and gid=value, where the values are the numeric IDs of the user and group. These parameters and more are described in the mount man page under "Mount options for fat".
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.