Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For Newbies - Debian Squeeze Install in a TAR file

Posted by dazealex 
For Newbies - Debian Squeeze Install in a TAR file
March 20, 2011 12:36PM
Hi everyone,

Is anyone interested in a Debian Squeeze based system with NFS, SAMBA, Transmission, SABNZBD, all pre-installed in a nice TAR file that you extract and Bob's your uncle?

I've always been meaning to do this but never knew how to till I came across Jeff's script which uses debootstrap.

Take care,

Daze
Re: For Newbies - Debian Squeeze Install in a TAR file
March 21, 2011 12:27AM
Not sure what do you mean. I don't think debootstrap use TAR file. Am I wrong about this?
March 21, 2011 09:53AM
Hi twinclouds,

debootstrap can download all the required .deb packages and create a TAR file. Using this method, users can just download the TAR file which will have all of the required packages pre-downloaded. The advantage is that it will reduce the time required to download each individual package from the Internet, especially for those that are on slow links. The disadvantage is that some packages may get out of date, but that can be fixed after by running a simple apt-get update; apt-get upgrade.

Is this worth pursuing?

I guess where I am headed to is this... I want to have a bunch of packages installed, and pre-configured so that they more-or-less work out of the box. And any configuration required can be done through a simple web page. If there isn't a lot of interest, then I probably won't do this...

Please, let's talk about this!

Daze
March 21, 2011 03:28PM
Hi Daze,

take a look at Jeff's lenny-script, he downloads a prebuilt tarball with everything except the kernel in it.
I think this is what you need to if you want to publish a tarball.

If you just want to install some more packages and create several config files you may want to look at gorgone's advanced squeeze script. He uses Jeff's script and installs additional stuff afterwards.

--
shyd

Goflex Net 3.9.5 | Dockstar 3.9.5 | http://dev.shyd.de
March 21, 2011 05:28PM
I like the Lenny approach better than the current Squeeze installation procedure. If that is Daze means, I would say it will be worthwhile effort.
March 21, 2011 08:58PM
Hi twinclouds,

I will be working on extending it to Squeeze. Thanks for the encouragement.

Daze
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.