Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NAND vs USB STICK vs USB DRIVE: Advise?

Posted by darethehair 
NAND vs USB STICK vs USB DRIVE: Advise?
March 30, 2011 07:00PM
New guy here. I skimmed a bunch of existing posts, and forgive me if I missed the one(s) that answer my question -- but I was hoping for some simple pro/con points on the various media options available for running Debian on a Pogoplug v2 (pink). I currently run some old NSLU2s (OpenWRT Kamikaze completely on the devices themselves), so I know a bit of the theory of doing this stuff, but I have not yet received the Pogoplug that I recently ordered.

From my skimming/reading, it looks like the media options are:

- NAND (read-only and read/write?)
- USB stick
- USB hard drive
- hybrid mixtures of the above

Some cautions I have noted are:
- wear leveling on the NAND (only when read/write?)
- USB sticks boot 'easier' than USB hard drives (?)

How much space does a basic Debian install take? Would it even fit onto the 128mb available on the Pogoplug? How tricky is it to make extra stuff 'overflow' onto a USB stick/drive? Is it better to stick with one choice? Won't USB sticks fail faster than a hard drive? etc.

Anyways, I think you know where I am going here i.e. "if you want x feature, then use y media". Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.