Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't install to USB drive on Pink PogoPlug, can't determine architecture

Posted by Drizzt321 
Can't install to USB drive on Pink PogoPlug, can't determine architecture
August 12, 2011 08:38PM
I'm trying to install on the Pogo Plug (model POGO-E02, the pink one) following your instructions at http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/. Works fine, until it tries to run debootstrap. I get the following error:

# Starting debootstrap installation
E: Couldn't work out current architecture
debootstrap failed.
See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.

However /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log doesn't exist.

I tried changing the debootstrap arch to armv5tejl (which is what uname on the original pogo firmware reports), but that didn't work either. Help!
Re: Can't install to USB drive on Pink PogoPlug, can't determine architecture
August 13, 2011 01:27AM
Ok, so, what I did was made the root FS read-write, edited /usr/local/debootstrap, changed line 404 to be HOST_ARCH=armel, and then saved, and remounted root as read-only.

May have worked, not sure. Pretty much all the packages it's downloaded it's saying are corrupt.
I'm running into this too. I checked the model number to make sure that it was an E02, and it was. I have one working E02, and this one that doesn't.
August 14, 2011 04:13PM
Weird. Mine's an E02 as well. Could it be different Pogo firmware versions causing a problem with debootstrap trying to figure out the architecture?
I can't easily get the /proc/cpuinfo output here, but a summary is, my working E02 "Hardware" is listed as "Marvell SheevaPlug Reference Board". Non-working device is listed as "Feroceon-KW". Further, "Processor" on the non-working E02 is "Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v51)". CPU features, implementer, architecture, variant, part, and revision are all the same.
August 14, 2011 04:32PM
I dunno. Looking at the debootstrap script, it tries to use dpkg or udpkg to get the local architecture, or the /user/share/deboostrap/arch (I think) to get the architecture. Except my deboostrap/arch file/dir is missing.
I just bought a dockstar device an ran into the same problem when running debootstrap :(
I have also got the "Feroceon-KW" listed in /proc/cpuinfo and no further log file /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log :(

First question, can I turn off the dockstar device? Will it reboot again? Or is it trash when I shut it down in this state? (script aborted at debootstrap installation)

Maby just the first one, because thats most important right now ;) Second one would be if there is any solution?

regards, anyone thanks for help
I tried forcing the debootstrap script to continue by changing line 402 in debootstrap script to:

else
# error 1 WHATARCH "Couldn't work out current architecture"
ARCH="armel"
fi

than he goes on, but all downloaded packages are "corrupt" :( and nothing was installed.
When I look at the debootstrap script in line 400 I dont understand how debootstrap can be successful because rather dpkg nor udpkg is installed. I think I missed something :( Any help please?

regards,
August 15, 2011 11:38AM
td Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried forcing the debootstrap script to continue
> by changing line 402 in debootstrap script to:
>
> else
> # error 1 WHATARCH "Couldn't work out
> current architecture"
> ARCH="armel"
> fi
>
> than he goes on, but all downloaded packages are
> "corrupt" :( and nothing was installed.
> When I look at the debootstrap script in line 400
> I dont understand how debootstrap can be
> successful because rather dpkg nor udpkg is
> installed. I think I missed something :( Any help
> please?

This is exactly what I was encountering after I did that same thing. Very crappy :( :(

I did try using the ArchLinux install method, which basically just a full, tarballed filesystem extracted onto the thumb drive. Worked just fine. But I'd prefer debian.
Hey dude :) I got it. Seems to be solved a long time already but no note in this forum. However: http://dev.shyd.de/2011/01/seagate-dockstar-debian-squeeze/

simply take older debootstrap.
Ups, shyd released this tweak in this forum! So I was wrong about that! Thanks to jeff and shyd and probably gorgone, cause I might use his kernel :)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.