Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

broken Dockstar (help?)

Posted by tegsirat 
broken Dockstar (help?)
August 21, 2011 04:27PM
So when I first started following the whole dockstar thing about a year ago, I purchased a Dockstar and started hacking. At the time, I wasn't aware of this board and how awesome it is.

I loaded it up with Archlinux, and started playing with it. Somehow, I killed it. As i remember, it was something to do with me messing with the FSTAB, but it's been awhile.

I subsequently purchased another, installed Debian using Jeff's (awesome) script, and have been using it as a fileserver ever since. I recently purchased a PinkPogo, and am now using it as a bitorrent server.

I would like to get my broken dockstar working again. I've tried to revive it via TTL debugging (twice), but I think i'm too stupid to figure it out. i always end up getting frustrated, mostly due to my (terrible) soldering skills and my limited experience with serial debugging in linux.

Can anyone out there help if i ship it to you? I'd be happy to throw in some cash or a hacked DP152 picframe (i have four) or something.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 09:57PM by tegsirat.
Re: broken Dockstart (help?)
August 21, 2011 06:20PM
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but if you were only messing with the fstab, then the problem should be confined to the OS, and not to the uBoot loader. In that case, if you provide a pristine OS, the Dockstar should be able to boot it.

If you swap your two Dockstars, does your fileserver run on the original hardware? (Make sure you apply the Ethernet fixes to the appropriate files in /lib/udev/rules.d/ first.) If so, make a copy, make the appropriate changes that copy, and run that on your original Dockstar. If not, then the problem is likely due to something other than the changes you made to /etc/fstab.

Good luck with it.
Re: broken Dockstart (help?)
August 21, 2011 09:59PM
Honestly, I don't remember what i did, but I know it won't boot anymore. I think I may have been messing around with the NVRAM or something.

Bottom line - the thing is broken, and I can't figure out how to hook it up to a serial cable to see what's going on with it. I have the right cable (3.3v), but still nothing..

This post makes me sound like an idiot, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 09:59PM by tegsirat.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.