Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kernel to boot all arcNumbers ?

Posted by squeezeplug 
Kernel to boot all arcNumbers ?
September 23, 2011 06:01AM
Hi Folks,
is there a kernel or an image available which boots with every arcNumber? A fried of mine has changed the arcNumber and the Dockstar don't boot anymore. If we could find a kernel don't using the arcNumber we could revert it without a serial cable.

Greetings,
Thomas
ecc
Re: Kernel to boot all arcNumbers ?
September 23, 2011 03:39PM
squeezeplug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is there a kernel or an image available which boots with every arcNumber?

I doubt it. But if you know what number it was changed to, you can redefine MACH_DOCKSTAR to that number and build a hacked kernel that should work.
ecc
September 24, 2011 04:33PM
Here's another possibility, which doesn't require rebuilding a kernel, just modifying it a bit.
You can do what the "flash-kernel" script does for some images, and insert an initial pair of instructions that sets the correct machine ID in r1. This should force it to boot as a DockStar, no matter what arcNumber is set to. Warning: I haven't tested this.

$ cp vmlinuz test-vmlinuz
$ devio 'wl 0xe3a01c0b,4' 'wl 0xe38110b6,4' > test-vmlinuz
$ mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -n linux -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -d test-vmlinuz uImage
September 26, 2011 02:49AM
Hiu ecc,
the "MACH_DOCKSTAR" method worked fine.

Thanks a lot,
Greetings,
Thomas
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.