Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VGA card recommendation for dockstar debian

Posted by jrey 
VGA card recommendation for dockstar debian
January 03, 2012 11:34PM
I have an unused VGA LCD monitor sitting in the closet, and wonder if I can make use of it. I was thinking of playing movies from a dockstar debian squeeze. Does anyone have recommendation for an inexpensive USB VGA adapter? Thank you.
ecc
Re: VGA card recommendation for dockstar debian
January 05, 2012 05:01PM
jrey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have recommendation for an inexpensive USB VGA adapter? Thank you.

See this thread on the Targus docking station. They're very cheap on eBay these days.
January 06, 2012 09:04AM
I heard that USB2VGA is much slower than USB2VGA2 (and much cheaper as well). Do I need USB2VGA2 for streaming movie to the LCD monitor?
January 08, 2012 08:51PM
USB2VGA and most other options will be too slow for streaming video at any resolution unless its just a slideshow. USB2VGA makes a useable 1024x768 desktop though.

Display link adapters are the most efficient option as they have some compression support that helps with the USB bandwidth limitations and they can handle streaming video from a regular PC (at lower resolutions) but the dockstar would likely struggle given its limited RAM and CPU.

-PG
January 08, 2012 09:10PM
Thanks PG. I think I will give up on this monitor as the price for the displaylink adapter is about the price of another monitor anyway.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.