Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug E-02 pre-Debian questions

Posted by cdlenfert 
Pogoplug E-02 pre-Debian questions
October 14, 2018 04:21PM
Do stock MTD values matter?
[root@Pogoplug ~]# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00100000 00020000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 00400000 00020000 "uImage"
mtd2: 02000000 00020000 "root" ## guide says this should be rootfs, but root is my default, should I change?
m
td3: 05b00000 00020000 "data"

How do I save this nand dump after I run the following command?
nanddump --noecc --omitoob -l 0x80000 -f mtd0 /dev/mtd0

Can I be sure I don’t have a bad block in the first 8 blocks of MTD0?
[root@Pogoplug dev]# dmesg | grep -i 'bad'
[ 1.050000] Scanning device for bad blocks
[ 1.070000] Bad eraseblock 250 at 0x01f40000
[ 1.080000] Bad eraseblock 513 at 0x04020000

I don’t have anything for mtdparts when I try to print envs, what should I restore here if anything?
fw_setenv mtdparts 'xxxxxxxxx'

Thanks for any clarifications.
Re: Pogoplug E-02 pre-Debian questions
October 14, 2018 05:06PM
cdlenfert,

> Do stock MTD values matter?
> [root@Pogoplug ~]# cat /proc/mtd
> dev: size erasesize name
> mtd0: 00100000 00020000 "u-boot"
> mtd1: 00400000 00020000 "uImage"
> mtd2: 02000000 00020000 "root" ## guide says
> this should be rootfs, but root is my default,
> should I change?
> m
td3: 05b00000 00020000 "data"

Ignore stock mtds. It is basically the same.


>
> How do I save this nand dump after I run the
> following command?

> nanddump --noecc --omitoob -l 0x80000 -f mtd0
> /dev/mtd0
>

The output file is mtd0 in the current directory.


> Can I be sure I don’t have a bad block in the
> first 8 blocks of MTD0?

> [root@Pogoplug dev]# dmesg | grep -i 'bad'
> [ 1.050000] Scanning device for bad blocks
> [ 1.070000] Bad eraseblock 250 at 0x01f40000
> [ 1.080000] Bad eraseblock 513 at 0x04020000
>

These bad blocks are OK. The first 8 blocks are eraseblock 0 to 7.


> I don’t have anything for mtdparts when I try
> to print envs, what should I restore here if
> anything?

> fw_setenv mtdparts 'xxxxxxxxx'
>

New u-boot installation will define them correctly.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Pogoplug E-02 pre-Debian questions
January 16, 2019 03:47PM
I just updated the linux kernel for my Pogoplug E-02 box and I'm not sure if I've done an apt-get upgrade and rebooted or not since updating the kernel, but after running the apt-get upgrade I got the following at the end.

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-kirkwood-tld-1
And these instructions from the rootfs install steps make me uncertain if I need to regenerate the uInitrd boot file again. If so, do I just run the mkimage command with updated kernel numbers (4.19.0)?
Warning: Watch the apt-get upgrade progress. If the apt-get upgrade results in a new initramfs, the log would shows this message: 
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.12.1-kirkwood-tld-1
Then you need to regenerate the uInitrd boot file:
cd /boot 
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-4.12.1-kirkwood-tld-1 -d initrd.img-4.12.1-kirkwood-tld-1 uInitrd"]


Thanks
Re: Pogoplug E-02 pre-Debian questions
January 16, 2019 04:19PM
cdlenfert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just updated the linux kernel for my Pogoplug
> E-02 box and I'm not sure if I've done an apt-get
> upgrade and rebooted or not since updating the
> kernel, but after running the apt-get upgrade I
> got the following at the end.
>
>
> update-initramfs: Generating
> /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-kirkwood-tld-1
>
> And these instructions from the rootfs install
> steps make me uncertain if I need to regenerate
> the uInitrd boot file again.

You need to regenerate uInitrd.

> If so, do I just run
> the mkimage command with updated kernel numbers
> (4.19.0)?

Yes. This is applicable anytime the apt-get upgrade generates new initrd.xxx file.

>
> Warning: Watch the apt-get upgrade progress. If
> the apt-get upgrade results in a new initramfs,
> the log would shows this message:
>
> update-initramfs: Generating
> /boot/initrd.img-4.12.1-kirkwood-tld-1
>
> Then you need to regenerate the uInitrd boot file:
>
>
> cd /boot

So the mkimage command becomes:

> mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a
> 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n
> initramfs-4.19.0-kirkwood-tld-1 -d
> initrd.img-4.19.0-kirkwood-tld-1 uInitrd

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Pogoplug E-02 pre-Debian questions
January 17, 2019 08:07AM
Awesome! Thank you
Author:

Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: