Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Brother HL-2030 not found in CUPS on Pogoplug

Posted by Neitcom 
Brother HL-2030 not found in CUPS on Pogoplug
February 22, 2012 06:07PM
Hello,

I am using Debian on a pogoplug and I am trying for days to install my locally attached USB printer "Brother HL-2030".
It should be possible, because someone got it running on SheevaPlug. Because there are no Brother drivers available for Armel architecture (only for i386), the guy used a foomatic driver and got it running. (see http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1916.0)

I installed foomatic and Gutenprint drivers, but my printer is still not found by CUPS.

What I tried so far:
1) When the printer is connected, lsusb shows it:
root@callisto:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f9:0027 Brother Industries, Ltd HL-2030 Laser Printer
2) I blacklisted the usblp module (it seems not to be available anyway):
root@callisto:~# tail -2 /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
#CUPS uses libusb, in order to get USB printer working, usblp module needs disabling
blacklist usblp
3) I added a udev rule to set permssion for USB device file to 666 and ownershipt to "root:lp"
root@callisto:~# ls -ltr /dev/bus/usb/001/005
crw-rw-rw- 1 root lp 189, 4 Feb 23 00:45 /dev/bus/usb/001/005

What I do not understand: Even when there is no appropriate driver: Why does the printer not show up in CUPS?
What more can I do? How can I get it working? Is there a way to add the printer manually in CUPS?

Best regards,
Christian
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.