Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Running debian dockstar in qemu

Posted by PhantomsDad 
Running debian dockstar in qemu
September 13, 2010 09:16PM
What's the best way to build applications for the debian dockstar/pogoplug environment?

Obviously, one way is to build them on the device itself. This has the advantage that is simple and easy to understand.

But I'd like to build on my main debian workstation, which has plenty of cpu horsepower and memory, but is an AMD (i686) arch. I figured I could copy my debian dockstar disk to an image file and run it under qemu. First, I plugged my usb flash drive in my desktop system and tried copying the entire disk to an image and running qemu like this:

dd if=/dev/sdc of=debian-dockstar.img
qemu-system-arm debian-dockstar.img

But this complained that I need to specify a kernel. So next I tried

qemu-system-arm -kernel debian-dockstar.img

qemu immediately exited with an access violation. Next I tried making a copy of just the root filesystem and running that

dd if=/dev/sdc1 of=debian-dockstar-root.img
qemu-system-arm -kernel debian-dockstar-root.img

This opens a qemu display window, but it remains blank. The qemu-system-arm process consumes 100% cpu, apparently indefinitely. After a few minutes, I killed it.

Next, I tried mounting the root filesystem so I could point qemu at the kernel and initrd images.

sudo mkdir /mnt/tmp
sudo mount -o loop debian-dockstar-root.img /mnt/tmp
qemu-system-arm -kernel /mnt/tmp/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood -initrd /mnt/tmp/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-kirkwood -hda debian-dockstar-root.img

This produced the same empty qemu window and 100% cpu.

So has anyone managed to get their debian dockstar image to run under qemu?
Re: Running debian dockstar in qemu
September 13, 2010 09:45PM
have u try this ?

qemu-system-arm.exe -L . -hda debian-dockstar.img

i test it tomorow with qemu v 0.12.5 win32-arm
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.