Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian Sid armhf is now working for me on an A10 tablet!

Posted by gnexus 
Debian Sid armhf is now working for me on an A10 tablet!
June 30, 2012 07:32PM
It was a major PITA to get going. But now it finally works!

I'm glad to be able to get rid of Ubuntu on there.

I will post 4 GB SD images on the forum as soon as they are ready. 50% of the SD is used by the OS as is.

Image has the following notable pkgs:

alsa, abiword, apache2 (mythweb dependency only - you are strongly advised not to enable it), bluez, ffmpeg, git, GStreamer, icedove, iceweasel, lightdm, lxde, mpd, mplayer, mysql, mythtv, mythweb, nginx, php5-fpm, pulseaudio, rhythmbox, samba, subversion, transmission, x11vnc, xmms2, xserver-xorg

Of course you can always remove or add any of the pkgs. . .

GUI is framebuffer only and is not hardware accelerated. Mythfrontend has not been tested and will likely be unusable for actually watching video. But you could still use it to browse the other things and manage recordings. Mythbackend, mysql, nginx and php all work fine on my GoFlex. So undoubtedly they will all work much better on A10. Running Mythfrontend and Mythbackend on the same A10 host is NOT recommended. There are no issues with pulseaudio either on sun4i PCM or SUN4I-HDMIAUDIO. They both work fine, as does rhythmbox, xmms2, and mpd. Iceweasel must be run as superuser to access the net. That and the missing video hardware acceleration are the two biggest issues to be addressed.

I will also release an 8GB SD image intended for kernel developers. It will have a preexisting linux-allwinner git clone and a uboot-allwinner git clone in /usr/local/src. Hopefully that will encourage people to contribute to the project.

As usual, more info will be in the A10 forum.
Re: Debian Sid armhf is now working for me on an A10 tablet!
July 01, 2012 08:17AM
This is really AWESOME! :)

I have now, at this moment, get this - Mythfrontend playing back a recording from my GoFlex-hosted MythTV backend!

No sound yet. The video frame rate is very, very low (slow motion), but hey, it's a start!

Rhythbox plays mp3's fine. Xine plays back low-res avi's with no issues.

Mysql must be run as the superuser to allow the net socket to be created. That is due to a kernel permissions issue that will undoubtedly be overcome in the future.

For more updates on the progress of Sid please go to the A10 forum.
July 01, 2012 01:16PM
Mythbackend runs fine on the A10 once I got the mysql working and a mythconverg database imported.

Mythweb is also working now on the the A10 using nginx and php5-fpm.

Next I'm going to try connecting a USB tuner to the A10 and recording a short TV show.

It will be interesting to see what happens during playback with both mythbackend and mythfrontend running at the same time.

We really need to get the code in there to get the VPU used in Debian. . .
July 01, 2012 04:49PM
Maybe because I have not visited the site for a while... How is the A10 tablet related to dockstar/pogoplug?
July 01, 2012 05:48PM
It's not directly related (apart from the ARM processor lineage), but it's a fun, inexpensive platform in the spirit of the Dockstar, and I've added an additional forum here specifically for the A10 where a few spirited hackers are working to get Debian/Linux running.
July 07, 2012 07:35PM
Hurray for Jeff :-)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.