Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wheezy install script

Posted by Jeff 
Wheezy install script
July 14, 2012 12:36AM
I've added a new Wheezy installer, it works just like the old Squeeze installer:

cd /tmp
wget http://projects.doozan.com/debian/kirkwood.debian-wheezy.sh
chmod +x kirkwood.debian-wheezy.sh
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin
./kirkwood.debian-wheezy.sh

This requires an updated debootstrap configurations. If your system already has debootstrap installed in /usr/sbin/debootstrap (from an earlier Squeeze install, or if you're running the rescue system) you'll need to uninstall that first with the following commands:
rm /usr/sbin/debootstrap
rm -rf /usr/share/debootstrap

-- Jeff
sys64738
Re: Wheezy install script
July 14, 2012 03:27PM
Hi Jeff,

it is not possible to remove /usr/sbin/debootstrap from the Rescue System because it is read-only. :(

Any Solution?

Regards
July 14, 2012 03:58PM
mount -o remount,rw /
sys64738
July 14, 2012 04:38PM
Ok, after remount / to read-write i´ve got the following errors:

rescue:/tmp# ./kirkwood.debian-wheezy.sh

Your perl subsystem does not have support for {}
and must be disabled for debootstrap to work
Please disable perl by running the following command

chmod -x /usr/bin/perl

After perl is disabled, you can re-run this script.
To re-enable perl after installation, run:

chmod +x /usr/bin/perl

Installation aborted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

After executing chmod -x /usr/bin/perl the Installation stops again with the same error. :(

I have installed the Recovery V2,

Any Idea?
sys64738
July 14, 2012 04:45PM
/usr/bin/perl is a symlink to microperl. After chmod 666 /usr/bin/microperl it works.

Don´t know, which rights before changing had the file perl?! :()

But then:

# checking for /usr/share/debootstrap/pkgdetails...

# Installing /usr/share/debootstrap/pkgdetails...
Connecting to download.doozan.com (50.116.34.13:80)
pkgdetails.md5 100% |******************************************************************| 32 --:--:-- ETA
pkgdetails 100% |******************************************************************| 559k 00:00:00 ETA
pkgdetails 100% |******************************************************************| 559k 00:00:00 ETA
## Could not install /usr/share/debootstrap/pkgdetails from http://download.doozan.com/debian/pkgdetails, exiting.
sys64738
July 14, 2012 05:17PM
A hint, after:
chmod 777 /usr/share/debootstrap/pkgdetails
debootstrap is working.
July 15, 2012 06:32AM
Hi guys,

as I have been "disconnected" from this forum for a while, I tried to set up a spare Dockstar today and managed to install the new uBoot, but failed to boot from an old stick I had prepared maybe a little over a year ago (using kernel 2.6.35-7). So I tried this Wheezy-install and got past the problem with pkgdetails using the above hint. However, now I get the following:

I: Extracting xz-utils...
I: Extracting zlib1g...
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/debian mount -t proc proc /proc
W: See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details
debootstrap failed.
See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.

The info from the logfie is
zlib1g_1%3a1.2.7.dfs   0% |                               |     0  --:--:-- ETA
zlib1g_1%3a1.2.7.dfs 100% |*******************************| 87460  --:--:-- ETA
FATAL: kernel too old

What now?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

chessplayer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 06:45AM by chessplayer.
July 15, 2012 07:14AM

W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/debian mount -t proc proc /proc
FATAL: kernel too old

Looks like the wheezy binaries aren't playing well with the kernel of whatever platform you're using to install. I'm guessing you're running this from the original Pogoplug partition, right?

Looks like I'll need to do some more testing. In the meantime, you could use the USB rescue tarball here and either use that to replace your Pogoplug system with the rescue system or just run the Wheezy install straight from there.

-- Jeff
July 15, 2012 04:06PM
chessplayer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FATAL: kernel too old

I had this problem on my dockstar awhile ago trying to install ARMedSlack using the dockstar stock firm ware. The way around it is to do as Jeff suggested and install his Rescue System. http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,3896.
July 16, 2012 09:54AM
Jeff, laprjns,

thanks for your answers. I will try that and then see what I like more: ALARM or Wheezy (where ALARM has VDR up and running, just not the live-plugin, which I think is indispensable).

Cheers,

chessplayer
July 16, 2012 12:06PM
Ok, I have now replaced the pogoplug NAND with thre rescue system V2 --> worked!
Then, I went through the motions described here and got a success message --> fine!

Tried to rebbot into wheezy and this might have worked in a way: I do get a green LED in the end. However, I cannot connect to the Dockstar via ssh after boot from the stick :-(

Indeed, it did work! Now I will see waht I can do with it!

Thanks and cheers,

chessplayer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 02:23PM by chessplayer.
July 16, 2012 02:02PM
Check that you've got the right IP address. Some DHCP servers will give out one IP address to the rescue system and a different IP address to Debian.
July 16, 2012 02:26PM
Thanks, but that was not the problem, as I have the MAC-Address mapped to a specific IP-address in the router. The Dockstar I tried it with has been "modified" for an Archlinux based VDR and that entailed changing some boot-parameters. I just tested the stick on another one (after updating the persistent net rules ...) and voila, it worked.

Thanks again!

chessplayer
July 17, 2012 06:48AM
Just a little update: VDR was up and running in no time using the debian sources! This is just great! Now if I can work with the partitioning like the guy who wrote the Archlinux on Dockstar guide for Wheezy too, that would be just the ticket, since apparently the ext2 file system really does slow down the system (especially decryption).

I'll look into that when I have time.

Once more: thanks for the great work and the help you provide!

chessplayer
anonymous
July 17, 2012 07:18AM
what i'm doing wrong?

root@dockstar tmp# ./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh 
./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
anonymous
July 17, 2012 07:44AM
hmm ... the wheezy script ends with the same result!

BTW: I'm running squeeze on dockstar with kernel

root@dockstar tmp# uname -a
Linux dockstar 3.3.2-kirkwood-dg #1 Mon Apr 23 17:09:27 CDT 2012 armv5tel GNU/Linux
P-F. Bonnefoi
July 18, 2012 04:15PM
Hello,

you could change the first line of the script to be:
#!/bin/bash
according to the suggestion given at the following address http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-499045.html

The installation is running now...
anonymous
July 19, 2012 08:51AM
ok, I changed the first line to #!/bin/bash but another problem appears

./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh: command substitution: line 213: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh: command substitution: line 214: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Your perl subsystem does not have support for {}
and must be disabled for debootstrap to work
Please disable perl by running the following command

chmod -x /usr/bin/perl

After perl is disabled, you can re-run this script.
To re-enable perl after installation, run:

chmod +x /usr/bin/perl

Installation aborted.

I did as demanded with following result

# Starting debootstrap installation
E: No pkgdetails available; either install perl, or build pkgdetails.c from source
debootstrap failed.

any ideas?
First, I am confirming the "kernel too old" issue when using original pogoplug V2 kernel.

Then, using
Linux rescue 2.6.32.18-dockstar #1 Thu Feb 17 03:09:57 EST 2011 armv5tel GNU/Linux

I ran the wheezy install again.
From the rescue, I got the perl error, but I deleted the symlink perl --> microperl, not just make perl non-executable, to get past the perl check.

I had no issue with pkgdetails.

Once the above were changed, the install went fine and reboot was fine.

Nice work again Jeff! Thanks for doing this. Now I get to see if things work that just didn't want to work under 2.6x kernels.

TJ
July 20, 2012 08:11PM
Confirming the "kernel too old" using original Goflex home,
and new one issue:
---
# Starting debootstrap installation
E: unrecognized or invalid option --no-check-gpg
debootstrap failed.
rescue:/tmp#
---
Installing from Resque 3.0
July 23, 2012 09:08AM
Maybe a stupid question. If I have Squeeze running on a Dockstar, this is not the script I would use to upgrade it to Wheezy, right?
July 23, 2012 09:38AM
@ funtoy
I guess that would work...if you want to start all over again.
I used apt-get dist-upgrade after editing /etc/apt/sources.list

# cat /etc/debian_version
wheezy/sid
TJ
July 24, 2012 02:05AM
For future trouble shooting,

1) Which arcNumber (s) should I be able to use with this for a pogoplug V2?
Currently using 2097 which I understand to be the sheeva plug arc number.

2) Should the uBoot environment have a value for ip number?

3) Should I expect a usb drive that boots one PogoplugV2 to work on another PogoplugV2 unaltered?
(partial answer, no, because /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules will change the network device name that has been assigned to MAC address from the first machine... How do I disable this? I deleted the file and still got the same behavior see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=680763 ) several attempts at changing this by deleting, by editing, and by changing the calling rule, have failed to have the stick boot with a network on another plug.

Thanks,

TJ
TJ
July 26, 2012 01:15PM
Success with number 3 above:

I removed 70-persistent-net.rules and 75-persistent-net-generator.rules
from /etc/udev/rules.d/ and from /lib/udev/rules.d/ enabling me to use the same usb stick on different pogoplugs!

Without removing /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules the offending rule in /etc/udev/ruled.d/ kept getting re-generated.

TJ
Liz
July 28, 2012 08:47PM
I've got a second Pogoplug V2
and now I am in an endless loop trying to install wheezy or even squeeze now.

I know that from the standard firmware you can't boot the wheezy kernel.
To install a rescue system you need to be able to boot from USB or Debian NAND

To boot from USB you need to install squeeze.

On this particular pogoplug, for a reason I can't yet fathom, using the script, wget does not download debootstrap, even if I give the exact location for the download.
Once I run through the download manually from the commnad line, then I come back to the perl error.

Tryng to chmod /usr/bin/microperl gives "No such file or directory"
I can find instructions on the net to build a microperl but crosscompiling for the busybox system is at the limits of my knowledge.
July 30, 2012 05:31PM
never mind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 11:15PM by funtoy1001.
August 01, 2012 02:57PM
dvl36 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Confirming the "kernel too old" using original
> Goflex home,
> and new one issue:
> ---
> # Starting debootstrap installation
> E: unrecognized or invalid option
> --no-check-gpg

> debootstrap failed.
> See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for
> more information.
> rescue:/tmp#
> ---
> Installing from Resque 3.0

I got the same message when I try to install sequeeze or wheezy on a pogoplug pink. It said to check /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information but there is no such file. As a matter of fact, directory has not been created yet.

EDIT: forgot to
rm /usr/sbin/debootstrap
rm -rf /usr/share/debootstrap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 04:48PM by funtoy1001.
@LIZ

I feel your pain. 1st, does your second pogoplug see the internet at all? I went round and round trying to have a direct connection to the internet, but my provider, Comcast, keeps track of MAC numbers and wouldn't let my second one attach. All works fine behind a router.

I went through the same thing originally with Squeeze and frankly don't remember what finally worked, except that my faith that something might work was bolstered when I followed the Arch for arm instructions and got Arch working.
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray

However, looking at the new wheezy script, it should have at least installed a new uboot for you. Right? If it got to the perl error, it probably did.

If so, you can prep a new usb drive with the v3 rescue tarball
Rescue V3 The readme and tarball are linked there. You can do that prep on a different computer!

Then reboot with that new usb drive as the only usb device and you will be running a sufficiently new kernel that you can "start" the wheezy process. There is a circular thing here, yes. The trick is to do everything as outlined except that your blank future wheezy will be plugged in after bootup as well as the rescue filesystem, but mounted on /tmp/debian of the rescue system, ignoring NAND altogether. At least that is my understanding....

When I did this, I ended up with a failed to chroot error, but everything had been unpacked and installed and I was able to hand tweak the remaining bits.

As to the perl error
ls -l $(which perl)
will tell you whether perl is a symlink or not. If it is, delete the symlink for now.
(first# mount -o remount,rw / ) Try to remember to restore it later...

BTW, the error "No such file or directory" seems to be the only indication we get that we are trying to run a command that expects to find a library that it doesn't have.
(A problem with using stripped binaries maybe? or a gclib vx uclib issue?) I started getting it for almost everything once I started running off a rescue system. Pruning the path down to the minimum helped some, getting rid of aliases from my profile helped some more but it still happens.

TJ
TJ
August 02, 2012 12:39PM
Sorry, I just tried it as above and there are pieces missing.
More later.
TJ
first install a new uboot using
URL_UBOOT="http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh";

next get the rescue version 3 tarball as outlined in: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,8277
And untar it to an empty but partitioned and formated usb drive/stick.

Now you can reboot the pogoplug with the new rescue on a disk.

Once there, you need to delete /usr/sbin/debootstrap and rm -rf /usr/share/debootstrap.
(This will eliminate the unrecognized or invalid option --no-check-gpg error)

Delete the symlink to microperl at /usr/bin
Create /tmp/debian

Prep another usb stick that will receive the wheezy install. Partition it designate the second partition as a swap and make the filesystem on the first partition, just as you did for the rescue disk, using mk

Now the hard part, editing the wheezy isntall script before running it.
We need to trick the install into doing everything on sdb even though it will eventually be mounted as sda1 and sda2.
1) add any extra packages you want available immediately to the -EXTRA_PACKAGES line.
Be sure that you have the name right from somewhere or deboostrap will stall and you have to start over.
2) Given the work already done above, comment out irrelevant parts of the script:
a) comment out uboot section. You just did that skip it now.
b) leave ROOT as /tmp/debian
c) change DEV_ROOT and DEV_SWAP to /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sda2
(the swap gets written to fstab, while the root does not.)
d) comment out mke2fs section. You just did that skip it now.
e) comment out mount $ROOT_DEV $ROOT section or it will be mounted twice.
f) At the end, don't let it automatically reboot. You need to remove your rescuse disk first.

Now that the script is edited, you can run it...

I just did it and it worked only very minor glitch was that my login shell was somehow sh not bash. Somehow I remembered chsh.

Notes: I had a problem with LD_LIBRARY_PATH that made dpkg fail. A simple #export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" fixed the problem.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.