Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zyxel NAS326 Installation Instruction

Posted by bodhi 
Re: Zyxel NAS326 Installation Instruction
November 16, 2019 07:33PM
I have not yet been able to use my NAS326 to verify the envs changes in the updated instruction.

However, I've updated the 1st post to clarify that if it is the 1st time installation, then users should go ahead with the existing instruction.

Zyxel NAS326 Installation
Updated 20 Aug 2019

I'm in the process of updating the installation instruction for this box to boot with kernel linux-5.2.9-mvebu-tld-1 or later. For 1st time installation, please use the instruction below. Or wait until I have a chance to use my NAS326 to verify the new installation steps (there are only some envs changed as described here).

Installation Instruction

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Dzanar
December 17, 2019 04:52PM
So, I can check it. How i need change the envs to boot from HDD and USB?
December 17, 2019 08:09PM
Dzanar,

> So, I can check it. How i need change the envs to
> boot from HDD and USB?

Have you installed using the current instruction for the first time installation? is it running OK? and do you have serial console?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
January 22, 2020 12:44PM
NAS326 Upgrade to kernel linux-5.2.9-mvebu-tld-1 or later version

The instruction below is to be executed after logged into Debian. At the time of this writing, the latest kernel is linux-5.3.5-mvebu-tld-1.

1. Install kernel

Please see the kernel upgrade instruction in the main MVEBU kernel release thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,32146

Scroll down to section

Updated 12 Oct 2019:

Kernel linux-5.3.5-mvebu-tld-1 package has been uploaded.

After installing kernel linux-5.3.5-mvebu-tld-1, immediately follow Step 2 below to modify u-boot envs.

2. Modify u-boot envs

If you have serial console connected, the envs change below can be executed at serial console prompt using setenv, too. As a matter of fact, testing these modification using serial console is recommended (to avoid committing the changes until you can boot successfully).

2.a. USB rootfs

fw_setenv usb_bootcmd 'echo Booting from USB ...; setenv fdt_skip_update yes; run usb_init; ext2load usb 0:1 $load_image_addr /boot/uImage; ext2load usb 0:1 $load_initrd_addr /boot/uInitrd; run usb_set_bootargs; bootm $load_image_addr $load_initrd_addr'

2.b. HDD rootfs

TBD

3. Done

Reboot the box. If you have serial console, observe the boot progress and save the bootlog for future reference or troubleshooting.

After you've done the u-boot env change in step 2a, there will be no need to do it again in future kernel upgrade.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 05:23AM by bodhi.
January 23, 2020 04:52AM
I've updated the NAS326 Installation Instruction to add new section:

E. Instruction for kernel upgrade after installation

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
January 23, 2020 11:37PM
What about the performance of OS Debian compared to the default OS on nas326?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.