Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zyxel NAS326 Installation Instruction

Posted by bodhi 
Re: Zyxel NAS326 Installation Instruction
December 26, 2020 04:44AM
mixpc,

I see. I don't have an answer regarding this, since I never really used stock FW in any meaningful way at all. I've only booted into stock OS a few times to extract information to build the new kernel for it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
December 26, 2020 12:24PM
Hi,

I need some help here. I installed OMV, but after I edit any network setting in the web interface, if I reboot, I cannot access the NAS anymore. I connected it by the serial cable and I can see that it can't configure the network during the boot:

[FAILED] Failed to start Wait for Network to be Configured.
See 'systemctl status systemd-networkd-wait-online.service' for details.

after that message it runs the script to set the persistent MAC address.

So using the serial connection, I can run the omv-firstaid to set the network and it works, until the next reboot...

So I am thinking the problem is the persistent MAC address script is running AFTER the the Network Configuration.

Do you know how can I force the persistent MAC address script to run before the Network Configuration?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2020 12:29PM by nickba.
December 26, 2020 03:59PM
nickba,

> [FAILED] Failed to start Wait for Network to be
> Configured.
> See 'systemctl status
> systemd-networkd-wait-online.service' for
> details.

> Do you know how can I force the persistent MAC
> address script to run before the Network
> Configuration?

Since you are running systemd, I cannot help you troubleshoot. But the basic idea is you should look for way to setup/modify a systemd target for network service.

And that should be an equivalence of sysvinit /etc/network/interfaces, where you can set the MAC address explicitly (in this case you don't need to use the set_persistent_mac_address script).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
December 26, 2020 09:13PM
Thanks for replying and for the suggestion. I will keep trying to find a way to make it work. This is the last piece of the puzzle to make OMV5 work...
December 28, 2020 03:33PM
Hello,

Here is an update. I could not make the OMV5 GUI network settings work, but I set up the IP and DNS manually and it worked!!

Now everything is working! But the SMB still slower than the stock firmware. I am getting 60MB/s with OMV5, while the stock firmware transfer speed is about 105MB/s.

I tried to use the stock SMB settings, it didn't make any effect.

Iperf tests shows the same speed in stock firmware and with the OMV5(about 950Mb/s).

I will keep trying to make the SMB transfer speeds at least similar to the stock...
Tasmin
September 23, 2021 01:43AM
Hi, thanks for the great informative page. I was able to boot from a USB drive using method B. I then tried the same method with an external ssd drive but it does not boot the NAS 326 box. Does the ssd need a different preparation to boot from it than a usb drive?
September 23, 2021 02:13AM
Tasmin,

> Hi, thanks for the great informative page. I was
> able to boot from a USB drive using method B. I
> then tried the same method with an external ssd
> drive but it does not boot the NAS 326 box. Does
> the ssd need a different preparation to boot from
> it than a usb drive?

An external SDD with USB interface is the same as an USB flash drive. But it is best to prepare the rootfs as it was a USB drive (meaning with USB cable and attached to a Linux box). And did you use the NAS326 front USB port?

If you have serial console, post the entire boot log.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 02:14AM by bodhi.
September 23, 2021 07:56AM
Hi guys. I'm wondering if Bullseye rootfs image for NAS326 is on the way or it still need a bit time for cooking?

Thanks.
September 23, 2021 02:59PM
yellowbug,

It will be either this weekend or next weekend.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
September 23, 2021 10:29PM
Heap thanks for your awesome contributions bodhi.

Can't wait for this Lol.
Tasmin
October 07, 2021 06:07PM
Thanks for the reply bodhi.

I figured out the problem with the ssd format. The partition table type was "gpt", and after I wrote the partition table with type "msdos" then created an "ext3" type partition with label "rootfs", and followed the rest of the instructions, I was able to boot NAS326 from it.

Thanks for the great instructions.
Tasmin
October 12, 2021 07:41PM
I made a cockpit add-on for the debian system for NAS326 that shows the CPU temperature and fan speed.

You need to install the cockpit plugin first:

# sudo apt -y install cockpit
# mkdir -p /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/udisks2/modules
# mkdir -p /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/udisks2/modules

cockpit is available at port 9090 :

https://[NAS IP address]:9090

After that, just follow the instructions from my git repo to install the add-on:

https://github.com/tasmin/cockpit-zyxel-NAS326-cpu-plugin
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.