Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

networking question

Posted by cryptozoologist 
networking question
September 25, 2012 09:48AM
hi all,
i am attempting to build a piratebox with a pogoplug. many of the scripts required to do this require internet access as they contain wgets and the like. this was a problem for me as i get my internet via wireless connection and hardware ethernet connection is not available. i solved this problem by making my laptop a bridge to another router that the pogoplug is attached to. now the pogoplug sees the internet but i do not know how to ssh into it from my laptop. i can ssh with my android phone but this is really tedious and prone to typos. here is a little more about the setup:

(wifi)----(linux laptop)--ethernet_cable--(router)---ethernet_cable---(pogoplug)

the pogoplug has been assigned 192.168.2.120 by the router
the router has been assigned 10.42.0.43 by the laptop

even though everything seems to be working, i cannot ping 10.42.0.43 from the laptop

the router is a linksys running dd-wrt

thanks in advance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 10:13AM by cryptozoologist.
Re: networking question
September 27, 2012 07:11AM
Hi Crytozoologist!

Congratulations for having a linksys router, With both DD-WRT or Tomato (or even OpenWRT if you want to know more in depth what your device is doing) you can configure it as Wireless client, avoiding to have to setup your laptop as a bridge. Something like this:

Main router: DHCP on subnet 192.168.x.x
Secondary router (linksys): wifi client on subnet 192.168.x.x and dhcp server on another subnet (like 10.x.x.x). You can connect your laptop and your pogoplug to your linksys router and both devices will be in the same subnet, letting you to access from one to another using ssh...

Read this first: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

if you have another question feel free to ask!
Re: networking question
October 09, 2012 03:16PM
hi pazos, thanks for getting back to me. as it happens the strategy you suggest is the first thing i looked into, but i admit i was intimidated by the process. i would prefer to muck with the router as little as possible as it is successfully running the dd-wrt firmware. also there is a little concern about getting it back into the right mode to run the piratebox. i did however come up with a solution. i recently bought an android tablet that has a usb port on the side. i had the wild idea of just plugging a usb keyboard into it and it automagically just worked as desired.

i am having another problem which caused me to set this whole project aside for a time which is this: when i try to boot the pogoplug into debian off of a usb hard drive, it has about a 1 in 5 chance of booting into debian. at first i thought i had bricked the thing but luckily it booted for me before i chucked it. i read in the troubleshooting section of the installation instructions that boot issues are due to drive incompatibilities. i suppose i could boot the thing off of a thumb drive and have it access the hard drive in a different usb port but that is a problem for another day. for now, i will resume the pirate box project.

peace.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.