Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GoFlexHome, flashed u-Boot, but envs flash failed - now what?

Posted by christoph60 
GoFlexHome, flashed u-Boot, but envs flash failed - now what?
February 09, 2021 02:51PM
Hello,

first of all thanks for all the great input and learnings I got from this forum. It's fun playing around with these Kirkwood devices.

Now to my question: I got a GoFlexHome for cheap and started to make it useful by installing a more recent u-Boot version as described bodhi's instructions here:
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

I had finished step 7 and had flashed mtd0 without trouble. But for some reason, the GoFlexHome lost power before I could do step 8 and flash the u-Boot envs. Now the device is in a boot loop.

Without the envs in place, is it possible to make the device boot a system which will let me access it via ssh? Can I prepare a USB stick or a SATA drive?
Or do I have to do it the hard, i.e. the serial connection way?

Thanks for any help,
Christoph
Re: GoFlexHome, flashed u-Boot, but envs flash failed - now what?
February 09, 2021 04:05PM
Christoph,

This problem can be easily fixed with a couple different ways. One with serial console, the other with uEnv.txt.

Since you don't have serial console. You can do it with the uEnv.txt

Refer back to when you download the envs image in u-boot installation thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

8. Flashing default u-boot envs image (if you are upgrading from 2016.05-tld-1 u-boot, you can skip this step 8).
a. Download the default u-boot envs at Dropbox:

uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.bodhi.tar
md5:
3823eef10011b864859d31a76470e0e3
sha256:
c8db95a4225e8d78bdaaaa372bd5a87e4b98f3448dd9c62fc96c72b2df1a997c

This tarball includes 3 files:

uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.img (the default envs image to be flashed)
uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment (the content of the default envs in text format)
uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.64K.img (small envs image to be flashed on HP T5325 only).

The file uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment is the envs listing that I used in creating the uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment.img. This can be used as uEnv.txt.

Moun your rootfs on another Linux box. Copy the uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment to the rootfs. Assuming it is mounted at /media/sdb1.

cd /media/sdb1/boot
cp -a uboot.2016.05-tld-1.environment uEnv.txt
And then adjust one env in this file.

Look for the env
dtb_file=/boot/dts/kirkwood-pogo_e02.dtb

Replace that with
dtb_file=/boot/dts/kirkwood-goflexhome.dtb

That's it. Save the file and sync
sync
And unmount.

Take it to the GF Home and boot.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 09, 2021 04:41PM
Wow, bodhi,

that was a very fast and very detailed answer. Thank you so much! And besides, the counter says this was your 15000th post here. Fifteen thousand! If there is a medal or something for supporting a community like this one, you should get it!

So this means u-Boot will check for and mount a rootfs on an USB attached storage, see if it finds a file named uEnv.txt and evaluate that? Which file system should the stick be formatted with? Ext3? And which system/distro would you recommend for this temporary situation?

Greetings from snowy Germany,
Christoph
February 09, 2021 06:24PM
christoph,

> So this means u-Boot will check for and mount a
> rootfs on an USB attached storage, see if it finds
> a file named uEnv.txt and evaluate that?

Yes, it is internally defined the same way as the deafult envs image. And there is a hook to look for uEnv.txt in each storage devices u-boot can find (USB, SATA, MMC).

> Which
> file system should the stick be formatted with?
> Ext3? And which system/distro would you recommend
> for this temporary situation?

Ah. I see that you have not created the rootfs. My latest released rootfs is Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

Scroll down to

Updated 25 Aug 2019:

Basic Debian buster Kirkwood rootfs for most Kirwood plugs:

- tarball size: 209M
- install size: 536M
- The init system used in this rootfs is sysvinit . To boot with systemd, see note 2 below.
- Installed packages: nano, avahi, ntp, busybox-syslogd (log to RAM), htop, isc-dhcp-client, dialog, bzip2, nfs server/client, iperf, ethtool, sysvinit-core, sysvinit, sysvinit-utils, u-boot-tools, and mtd-utils.
- see LED controls in /etc/rc.local, and /etc/init.d/halt
- see some useful aliases in /root/.profile
- root password: root

Download at Dropbox:

Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 10, 2021 04:52PM
Thanks again, bodhi,

it worked like you said. The GoFlexHome appears to be booting from the USB stick now, as I get a steady LED now after a few seconds. I currently cannot see it on my network, though, but that might be the router's fault.
It's late, and I will continue some other time.

Christoph
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.