Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NSA310S - backing fw up before I brick it?

Posted by ginger whinger 
NSA310S - backing fw up before I brick it?
October 15, 2022 03:04PM
Hello everyone!

I've recently got an old NSA310S from my father, he used it (running the stock firmware) for a while but in the last years it's been gathering dust so I figured I'll try to make something for myself out of it.

On a side note, I've never heard of Zyxel before and frankly I was astonished to find out that Zyxel removed all the support for their NSAxxx a while back, and that they're using GPT software without releasing it to the public as per license unless nagged via e-mail (and then it's gone again after a while). Overall not a trustworthy company at all, my impression.

Hence I'd love to remove their prehistoric crap from the NAS and run a proper Debian on it.

So, I've been going through the posts and tutorials on this forum. So far I've got a chroot jailed Debian running on it, also came across the repository from Mijzelf with plenty of tools. I've gone through Bodhi's tutorials all the way up to creating the rootfs u-boot stick but didn't trust myself to actually stick it in! You see, I have to say, I'm working in IT, so sure, I use linux regularly and all, but I'm no sysadmin and never delved to these depths, especially not on embedded! It's still hard to figure out some things but damn I've learned a lot (might go ahead and certify as a sysadmin after all this, haha).

Speaking of which...
A huge thank you to you guys for the work you're doing here - it's amazing!!

And so, after this lengthy introduction I'm getting to my Actual Questions:

The fan noise is pissing me off when I'm trying to have a nap on the sofa so I figured it's time to Do The Deed (rootfs the shit out of the nas, I mean). The zyxel gui is telling me the fan is running at 3333 RPM at CPU usage of 0% and temp of 33deg :S
I've flipped through the threads and found the fan3xxns from lzap, thought that's what I need - and figured it's prolly not possible to do while running stock firmware.

So, before I Do The Deed, is it possible to make a backup of the original firmware that is loaded from the memory, in case I screw it up or pussy out and want to revert? I do have a ttl/usb adapter.

Flipped through Dan's thread [NSA325 - Restore to stock firmware](https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,99974) but it's on OpenWRT so I'm not sure if it's applicable here. Might be that I just need a pointer to the right thread - it's all still pretty confusing.

Thanks in advance!

Marta
Re: NSA310S - backing fw up before I brick it?
October 15, 2022 09:55PM
See u-boot installation thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

Dumping NAND mtd0

nanddump --noecc --omitoob -l 0x80000 -f mtd0 /dev/mtd0

To back up other mtds, use similar format.

For example, dumping NAND mtd1:

nanddump --noecc --omitoob -f mtd1 /dev/mtd1

And so on.

Note that the mtd0 dump above is to dump the first 512KB. But it could also be changed to dump the entire mtd0, similar to dumping mtd1.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.