Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED] How to add ipv6.disable=1 to the kernel line in your bootloader configuration?

Posted by romiir 
I've been beating my head against the wall about this one all day. I have a seagate dockstar running arch arm linux and I used Jeff/daveygravy's tutorial/scripts to set it up, however now my package manager and wget and other things are failing to connect to servers that are up due to this bug with dns and ipv6, I came across a forum post that suggests that disabling ipv6 will fix the issue, so I tried to disable it in sysctl to no avail. Since it is built into the kernel now and not a seperate module I can't use modprobe to disable it so apparently we need to do this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv6_-_Disabling_the_Module#Disable_IPv6

" Disable functionality

Adding ipv6.disable=1 to the kernel line in your bootloader configuration disables the whole ipv6 stack, which is likely what you want if you are experiencing issues. "

I have tried adding that to bootargs and it doesn't work, but I really don't know what I am doing with uBoot. If this thing ran grub I would of fixed it 12 hours ago.

So what do I need to do exactly? Please help!

Thank you!

P.S. Basicly when I run pacman, it tries to connect to the repositories and they all time out until like the 10th or so attempt. It is really slowing my configuration of this system to below a crawl.

IE:
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirrors.rutgers.edu : Connection time-out
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from www.gtlib.gatech.edu : Connection time-out
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from cosmos.cites.illinois.edu : Connection time-out
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirrors.lax1.thegcloud.com : Connection time-out
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirror.ancl.hawaii.edu : Connection time-out
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from archlinux.supsec.org : Connection time-out

Here is the thread describing my issue exactly and solution (disable ipv6): http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2347

Also here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=134486

But in their case they were using Grub, not uBoot =S

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 12:28AM by romiir.
Re: How to add ipv6.disable=1 to the kernel line in your bootloader configuration?
July 29, 2012 11:27PM
Figured it out on my own! =]

This is what I did:

[root@dockstore ~]# fw_setenv usb_custom_params ipv6.disable=1
[root@dockstore ~]# fw_printenv usb_custom_params
usb_custom_params=ipv6.disable=1
[root@dockstore ~]# reboot

Now ipv6 is disabled, though it didn't fix the issue with pacman, now I have a new error...

error: failed retrieving file 'aur.db' from locke.suu.edu : Server denied you to change to the given directory
error: failed retrieving file 'aur.db' from mirrors.xmission.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'aur.db' from mirrors.rutgers.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404

etc.

However, pacmans performance has increased by at least 1000% now that ipv6 is disabled. Now to figure out why it's not working right, again.
Re: How to add ipv6.disable=1 to the kernel line in your bootloader configuration?
July 30, 2012 12:28AM
Originally I tried adding more repositories (to fix the above), but I guess I added the ones from ArchLinux rather than ArchLinuxArm oops, now I am all sorted.

Looks like I am the top google result now for one of my earlier queries, hopefully this thread helps others! =]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.