Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

debian is installed OK, but I can't boot original pogoplug

Posted by egstern 
debian is installed OK, but I can't boot original pogoplug
September 13, 2012 08:15AM
I have a Seagate dockstar on which I successfully installed Debian on a USB flash drive about a year ago. It has been working fine and I haven't booted the original firmware in a long time. My impression from a year ago was that I could boot the original Pogoplug firmware just by removing the USB drive and resetting the power. That no longer seems to work. The good news is that at the time I set up netconsole and left in place so I can see what is going on.

Here is what happens when I try to force the Pogoplug boot:

Marvell>> run pogo_bootcmd
run pogo_bootcmd
### JFFS2 loading 'uboot-original-mtd0.kwb' to 0x800000
Scanning JFFS2 FS: ....... read_nand_cached: error reading nand off 0xded400 size 8192 bytes
.. done.
### JFFS2 load complete: 524288 bytes loaded to 0x800000
## Starting application at 0x00800200 ...

and it just hangs there forever. I don't know from the error message which part is failing. Is it the load of uboot-original-mtd0.kwb and from where would that occur? Could I have a failing nand partition?

I can still boot Debian from the USB drive, and I can manipulate the mtd partitions. I can see, for instance, that mtd2 still has the pogoplug filesystem. I also seem to have saved the original mtd partition contents which I could restore, but I would prefer not to.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Eric
Re: debian is installed OK, but I can't boot original pogoplug
September 16, 2012 10:32PM
So it really seemed as if uboot was unable to read the uboot-original-mtd0.kwb file even though it was readable from the Debian system. While booted in Debian, I copied the files to my desktop, made them into a jffs2 image which I copied back to the Dockstar. I erased the mtd2 flash and then flashed the jffs2 image to it. The Dockstar now comes up in Pogoplug mode when I remove the USB drive and reset.

Eric
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.