Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug v4 Hangs at "Waiting for storage device(s) to settle"

Posted by radicalbiscuit 
Model: POGO-V4-A1-01
1 x USB 2.0
1 x SD

Using Seagate 3TB external HD, model STBV3000100

I went through the setup instructions which worked well except that fdisk had issues partitioning my drive. I did the partitioning with gparted on a separate computer, but other than that, everything in the first phase went as plan.

I rebooted the plug and when it came back, it had the flashing green light. I hooked into its serial console and watched it all go down:

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Jan 13 2012 - 22:33:21) Arch Linux ARM (PPV4 r1) PHYADDR=0

U-Boot code: 00600000 -> 0067FFF0  BSS: -> 006CFD60

Soc: 88F6192 A1 (DDR2)
CPU running @ 800Mhz L2 running @ 400Mhz
SysClock = 200Mhz , TClock = 166Mhz

DRAM CAS Latency = 3 tRP = 3 tRAS = 8 tRCD=3
DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000   size 128MB 
DRAM Total size 128MB  16bit width
Addresses 8M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (8M - 7M): Done
NAND:128 MB
Flash:  0 kB

CPU : Marvell Feroceon (Rev 1)
CLOUD ENGINES BOARD: PPV4A1

Streaming disabled
Write allocate disabled

USB 0: host mode
PEX 0: interface detected no Link.
Net:   egiga0 [PRIME]
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
(Re)start USB...
USB:   scanning bus for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
Waiting for storage device(s) to settle before scanning...

I saw several reports where "Waiting for storage device(s) to settle before scanning..." was followed by a newline and the character "T". I do not have the T. It completely hangs at this point and accepts no input.

If I boot without the HD attached, I get to the ALARM prompt. I can then attach the HD and attempt to do "usb stop", "usb start", but it doesn't detect the USB device in that instance ("1 USB Device(s) found").

I've since tried reformatting the drive to have only a single 4GB ext3 partition, but no luck there either. I have done this, again, with gparted. I have not tried fdisk to partition and format the HD since the initial setup when it did not work.

What should I do? Thanks in advance!
Re: Pogoplug v4 Hangs at "Waiting for storage device(s) to settle"
August 02, 2014 03:51PM
radicalbiscuit,

Stock U-boot does not support 3TB disk. To use larger than 2TB HDD, you need new U-Boot.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Pogoplug v4 Hangs at "Waiting for storage device(s) to settle"
August 02, 2014 04:37PM
I had the same problem with a 2TB WD Drive but the new U-boot works fine. Qui has a nice tutorial.
That did the trick. I had trouble finding fw_setenv because it wasn't in my binaries or hosted with the other NAND tools. I pulled it from bodhi's Debian rootfs and everything worked out fine.

Many, many thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.