Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

rescue system as way out of slow usb hdd spin on

Posted by peje 
peje
rescue system as way out of slow usb hdd spin on
September 30, 2010 01:07PM
Hello thanks for the great install-script. I've done an home server on a usb-hdd, unfortanely the disk spins up to slow and only worm reboot works, I think it should possible to use the rescue system just to boot and load the kernel, then after x seconds of pause it could boot with / on usb hdd.
The problem is how to configure uboot to do this, i only know lilo and grub, so any help would be great
cu peje
Re: rescue system as way out of slow usb hdd spin on
September 30, 2010 01:44PM
The delay time is configurable. You can adjust it with the 'fw_setenv' command. The below example will make the kernel wait 20 seconds for the device to spin up.

fw_setenv usb_rootdelay 20
thank you and another noobish question howto point uboot to the right disk - in grub it would be root=/dev/sdx how does this work with uboot?
And one more time thank you, I've running nfs server for vdr (for recordings), and zarafa with z-push for mail and synchronising phones working..
cu peje
Maybee it helps others, the usb-hdd was to slow so it was not recognized on start, the fw_setenv usb_rootdelay didnt help... only way was to put uboot and kernel on an another usb-stick like this debian gets up even after powerfail
thanks a lot cu peje
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.