Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Such thing as a SIM unit for Desktop computer?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Such thing as a SIM unit for Desktop computer?
October 20, 2020 04:07PM
Well, my cell provider stopped Tethering (SafeLink), so that's no good!
But my SIM is supposedly for any unlocked phone.

I was last in line for a cellphone (if it weren't a gift I'd never own one!) and figure a computer would probably need radios for GSM or Cd what was that...

If this works I wouldn't waste $44 a month, and that could also save from a new Motorola phone and Consumer Cellular account at $60 a month.

There are SIM card readers out there but no mention if they get you up and running.

If there's a solution that would be great for me. Big TIA!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Such thing as a SIM unit for Desktop computer?
October 20, 2020 05:43PM
Joey,

Yes.

Sounds like you have a GSM SIM. You can find 3G USB adapter for a quite low cost. Just make sure it is GSM and works with your current SIM.

Or you could also buy a T-Mobile SIM and subscribe to a monthly data plan (I recall long ago Walmart have T-Mobile data for 10 USD/month). Or you could go to T-Mobile location and they might sell you the SIM or provide a free SIM when you buy that 10 USD data plan from them. This data plan is unlimimted, but the speed goes down after you used up a certain amount of data. For lightweight browsing, or voice calling, this is adequate.

Plug it in a Linux computer (I think Windows and Mac also have free software for this), and configure the adapter. Look for Debian package(s) that provide this capability and install.

This was one of my abandoned projects :). A few years ago, I even bought an adapter on eBay, planning to use that with one of my Pogo V4 (small and portable). This plug was supposed to run on solar rechargeable battery. I never started it, so don't have the Debian package names for you but I know it is available.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 05:46PM by bodhi.
October 21, 2020 07:05AM
As Bodhi mentioned above, here is a 3G Mobile Wireless Router Broadband Power WiFi Hotspot Power Bank 1800mAh (under US $8.00). It is a 3G USB modem. So, the speed is pretty low. I strongly suggest that you get at least a 4G LTE GSM router, something like this (TIANJIE 3G/4G Portable Hotspot LTE Wifi Router WAN/LAN Port Dual External Antennas Modem Unlocked Wireless Sim Card CPE Router) or this (GC112 Waterproof Outdoor 4G CPE Router CAT4 LTE WiFi Router 3G/4G SIM Card for IP Camera Outside WiFi Coverage). Such a product may be very pricey, AFAICT.
October 21, 2020 01:14PM
Joe,

Here is another one (LC112 4G lte cpe SIM card wifi router 300m CAT4 32 wifi users router RJ45 WAN LAN indoor 4G wifi router).
October 21, 2020 01:21PM
Here is another one (GC111 300Mbps 4G LTE WiFi Router CAT4 Industrial CPE strong signal Suport 32 Wifi users With Sim Card Slot).
October 21, 2020 03:42PM
@habibie,

Those you posted above are readymade 3G/4G capable routers.

What I described in my post was a USB 3G or 4G modem. It is quite low cost (look it up). Then you would plug this modem into a Pogoplug and install Debian pkackages.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Network-Dongle-50Mbps-Router/dp/B08B6C1Y45

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 09:55PM by bodhi.
October 22, 2020 02:40AM
All this manna from heaven (?) thanks so much - I'm on it. You'd laugh (really) if you saw the four pieces of cardboard I cut in the shape of a wave keyboard, added a bluetooth keyboard and dollar store cell phone holder glued in the layers.

I'll talk to T-Mobile and Consumer Cellular and shop for whatever they say might work. BIAB ;-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
October 22, 2020 07:30AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @habibie,
>
> Those you posted above are readymade 3G/4G capable routers.
>
> What I described in my post was a USB 3G or 4G modem. It is quite low cost (look it up). Then you would plug this modem into a Pogoplug and install Debian pkackages.
>
> Like this:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Network-Dongle-50Mbps-Router/dp/B08B6C1Y45
>
You are absolutely correct.
November 10, 2020 10:03PM
Amazon has a $15 coupon with first Amazon app use, so I looked at the ones mentioned previous. Leared something, which is that most of them have bands 1 and 3, but T-Mobile and AT&T use bands 2 and 4.

But, if I find some great deal and it has all the bands, which is more useful, an adapter or a little router? Usually a router can copy the MAC address if that helps, but am at my wit's end and hoping to find a solution even if it's not going to be straightforward.

But as a handy device, a USB > LTE unit could be a real proactive tool in the emergency kit.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 13, 2020 10:20AM
A possible approach more like what you were doing (tethering)

I do not know if T-Mobile has good coverage in your area, and I do not know what your monthly data requirements are. But $60/month (Consumer Cellular) that you mentioned seems high.

I use Mint Mobile, a T-Mobile reseller. Bring your own device only. For just over $200/year ($15/month plus taxes and fees) I get voice, text, and 3GB /month, which is way more than I use. I bought a BLU Android phone that can be a hotspot. That seems to work fine, the few times I used it. This is _not_ my primary internet connection, which is DSL. The phone worked for two years before I had to pay $50 for a new battery. So adding cost of phone (about $100) it would be $300 for the first year, which is only $25/month.

BUT, the thing about Mint Mobile is that you must pay for a year at a time to get the $15/month rate. And you need to be able to buy an unlocked phone to get started. Big lumpy expenses like that are not easy for many people. If you can manage it, I think it can be a good deal, IF the service meets your needs, and T-Mobile has service where you need it.

If you ever read Discworld novels about Sam Vimes, this is like his analysis of boots. See

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/72745-the-reason-that-the-rich-were-so-rich-vimes-reasoned

Regards,
November 16, 2020 11:56PM
nopogo4me Wrote:
> A possible approach more like what you were doing
> (tethering)
>
> I do not know if T-Mobile has good coverage in
> your area, and I do not know what your monthly
> data requirements are. But $60/month (Consumer
> Cellular) that you mentioned seems high.
>
> I use Mint Mobile, a T-Mobile reseller. Bring
> your own device only. For just over $200/year
> ($15/month plus taxes and fees) I get voice, text,
> and 3GB /month, which is way more than I use. I
> bought a BLU Android phone that can be a hotspot.
> That seems to work fine, the few times I used it.
> This is _not_ my primary internet connection,
> which is DSL. The phone worked for two years
> before I had to pay $50 for a new battery. So
> adding cost of phone (about $100) it would be $300
> for the first year, which is only $25/month.
>
> BUT, the thing about Mint Mobile is that you must
> pay for a year at a time to get the $15/month
> rate. And you need to be able to buy an unlocked
> phone to get started. Big lumpy expenses like
> that are not easy for many people. If you can
> manage it, I think it can be a good deal, IF the
> service meets your needs, and T-Mobile has service
> where you need it.
>
> If you ever read Discworld novels about Sam Vimes,
> this is like his analysis of boots. See
>
> https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/72745-the-reason-that-the-rich-were-so-rich-vimes-reasoned
>
> Regards,

Looks realy nice, and the IMEA (if that's right) is accepted. So if I go for $30 per month for 3 months (with 3 free they say!) what should the first bill come to? They say $90 plus taxes and fees - and I've seen thos get out of control wiht AT&T of course. What should i expect the actual first bill ya think?

Thanks in advance very much, I might be able to swing this.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 20, 2020 09:51AM
"IMEA" is unknown to me, but that may not matter.

It looks like the introductory offer has changed since I signed up, and my chore list is too long to figure it out. But, here's my invoice from when I renewed my service in October 2020 for one year, for the 3GB/month plan.

BASE CHARGE AMOUNT $180.00
RECOVERY FEE $17.75
TAXES & SURCHARGES $3.79
FEDERAL UNIVERSAL SERVICE FUND $1.33
STATE SALES TAX $0.95
COUNTY SALES TAX $0.79
CITY SALES TAX $0.34
MO PREPAID WIRELESS 911 CHARGE $0.15
LOCAL LICENSE TAX $0.11
FEDERAL COST RECOVERY CHARGE $0.07
FEDERAL COST RECOVERY FEE $0.05
TOTAL CHARGE AMOUNT $201.54

As you can see, $21.54/year in fees, but some of that is state/county/city stuff, and would be different in your location.

The 3+3 offer you mention seems to suggest you could be charged for 6 months of fees, even if only charged for 3 months of service.

I am not a cell service options expert -- before I had Mint I had a flip phone and pay-as-you-go service at Virgin Mobile, which resold Sprint. So I can't tell you much else. Best of luck.
November 22, 2020 02:21AM
nopogo4me Wrote:
> "IMEA" is unknown to me, but that may not matter.
>
> It looks like the introductory offer has changed
> since I signed up, and my chore list is too long
> to figure it out. But, here's my invoice from
> when I renewed my service in October 2020 for one
> year, for the 3GB/month plan.
>
> BASE CHARGE AMOUNT $180.00
> RECOVERY FEE $17.75
> TAXES & SURCHARGES $3.79
> FEDERAL UNIVERSAL SERVICE FUND $1.33
> STATE SALES TAX $0.95
> COUNTY SALES TAX $0.79
> CITY SALES TAX $0.34
> MO PREPAID WIRELESS 911 CHARGE $0.15
> LOCAL LICENSE TAX $0.11
> FEDERAL COST RECOVERY CHARGE $0.07
> FEDERAL COST RECOVERY FEE $0.05
> TOTAL CHARGE AMOUNT $201.54
>
> As you can see, $21.54/year in fees, but some of
> that is state/county/city stuff, and would be
> different in your location.
>
> The 3+3 offer you mention seems to suggest you
> could be charged for 6 months of fees, even if
> only charged for 3 months of service.
>
> I am not a cell service options expert -- before I
> had Mint I had a flip phone and pay-as-you-go
> service at Virgin Mobile, which resold Sprint. So
> I can't tell you much else. Best of luck.

I was ready to sign up today when the 2nd Zip Code check said T-Mobile hasn't towers around here, even though the map made it look pretty minty green. So I sure appreciate you reaching out to help, but I'm going to have to find another way. What a great price and package at Mint though .

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 07, 2020 01:42AM
Any experience with AT&T's Prepaid Unlimited Data (containing dualcore Radiant Core)?

I bought one of those boxes from Wal Mart clearance yesterday for $35 but haven't fully investigated how it works. One place says in AT&T's print say no tethering and another says the plan features tethering.

But the plan would bill me $65 a month plus fees & taxes. When AT&T says Fees & Taxes it's going to hurt.

Previously they wouldn't admit what the bill was going to be at all. They really s*ck and even if this works and ATT bills me and the money isn't there (the last out of control fee was like $120 over what they quoted me), they are known for being ruthless and charging big for broken contracts even after they rate-jack.
I might be better off returning this to Wal Mart and hope they don't %$#@ me with a wal mart refund card [Mad]

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 08, 2020 05:52PM
I returned it :p

I was talking to an old friend last week, he's ready to retire from AT&T and refers to it as the Death Star LOL

I'd save more than $400 a year with Mint Mobile if only T-Mobile has towers here. I've never gotten to the bottom of that.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 08, 2020 09:27PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> I returned it :p
>
> I was talking to an old friend last week, he's
> ready to retire from AT&T and refers to it as the
> Death Star LOL
>
> I'd save more than $400 a year with Mint Mobile if
> only T-Mobile has towers here. I've never gotten
> to the bottom of that.

Yeah :) I don't like AT&T either. I would switch to T-Mobile in a minute, but their lack of towers causes connection problem in my locale.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.