Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ODroid-HC4

Posted by habibie 
ODroid-HC4
October 22, 2020 07:39AM
Before I go further, here is some information aboud an ODroid-HC4 with a based price of US $65. I wonder if anyone out here contemplates to get one to try. When I 1st saw this, I thought it just looks similar to a Seagate FoGLEX/NET unit. A further read on its specs really blows my mind away, with an exception it does NOT come with a USB3 port (if there exists such a SATA-2-USB3 port, I certainly wouldn't mind). Anyway, the version with a 4 GB RAM can certainly be turned into a Linux Desktop computer with a NAS, too.

Ameridroid is accepting a pre-order for the 4 GB RAM version US $71.95 / each, if anyone is interested.
Re: ODroid-HC4
April 02, 2021 04:43PM
i bought one last week and tried first with armbian, (works also well, but no display and Petit-boot support) than debian live with Petit Boot and openmediavault.
Super fast but like you told above:
only USB 2.0 port and the housing of a goflexnet is much more smaller and nicer than this.
But with this one you can also use 3,5" Disks and not only 2,5".
One point wich is a nice gadget is the display (yes i bought the one with display - 10 buks more)
atm it shows ip at startup and time and date afterwards. But its programmable at your choice.
The speed ist about 115MBit/s which is the max amount of a Gbit network.

Summary:
+ good speed
+ display
+ integrated heat sink with housing fan
+ fast 4GB ddr4 ram (in Europe only the 4GIG version is available)
+ 2,5 and 3,5" disks possible
+ power consumtion (idle 3,5W to 18W full load)
+ 2 programmable Leds (default power and heartbeat)

- boaring but functional casing (not very decorative on a desktop)
- USB 2.0
- cheap housing fan
April 04, 2021 07:05AM
joerg_999 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The speed ist about 115MBit/s which is the max amount of a Gbit network.
>
That's a great speed. But, how did you test the speed and what kind of connection, i.e. NFS, samba, or others, was used in the test?
April 04, 2021 11:51PM
i did copy a large videofile (8Gig) via samba in OMV.
April 05, 2021 08:20AM
joerg_999 Wrote:
> i did copy a large videofile (8Gig) via samba in OMV.
>
That's great and thank you. Did you setup the Samba with an encryption connection? I believe the performance on NFS will be similar.
April 06, 2021 04:15AM
No, this test was without encryption. I have to test with encryption (the cpu should have enough power) and also the NFS speed and let you know the results.
April 06, 2021 02:04PM
joerg_999 Wrote:
> No, this test was without encryption.
>
Thank you for this information. I couldn't find such an information on the oDroiD site.

>I have to test with encryption (the cpu should have enough power) and also the NFS speed and let you know the results.
>
Excellent. I am particularly interested to find out the performance on encrypted NFS connection. I have a plan to create a LAN with an encrypted NFS server to serve several Android TV Boxes running as Linux desktop computers.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.