Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ASUS - 17.3" Chromebook - Intel Celeron N4500 - 4GB Memory - 32GB eMMC - Transparent Silver US $149

Posted by habibie 
Currently, BestBuy is selling this ASUS - 17.3" Chromebook - Intel Celeron N4500 - 4GB Memory - 32GB eMMC - Transparent Silver for US $149 + Free S/H. I wonder if anyone here knows this chromebook will be able to run either armbian and/or uBuntu? Also, this device comes with an intel 5k video processor. AFAIK, Linux X11 window manager driver is pretty buggy on any intel video processor that causes the device to randomly freeze. Can anyone confirm this?
converted one acer chromebook to linux server, and used a USB3.0 to ethernet instead of wireless connection.
habibie,

If you can run Linux Mint on it, then it's a really good laptop, best bang for the bucks.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> habibie,
>
> If you can run Linux Mint on it, then it's a really good laptop, best bang for the bucks.
>
I believe this device will run Linux. However, the problem is the Linux X11 Window Manager driver for the Intel GPU chipset. Right now, I am typing this on a Linux Desktop Computer running uBuntu on an old Dell Inspiron-3252 with a 4 GB RAM. This computer randomly freezes all the time and requires a hard power cycle. I just don't want this kind of a problem to happen with the chromebook running on a Linux OS.
habibie,

I installed Linux Mint on an Acer Chromebook (Intel Celeron N3160, 4GB LPDDR3, 32GB) a few years ago for my nephew. I have not heard any freezing or any problem at all from him. On black Friday sale, this Chromebook was about 250 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVOLVPA

Or course, YMMV.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi Wrote:
> habibie,
>
> I installed Linux Mint on an Acer Chromebook
> (Intel Celeron N3160, 4GB LPDDR3, 32GB) a few
> years ago for my nephew. I have not heard any
> freezing or any problem at all from him.
>
Does this Chromebook use an intel GPU?
bodhi Wrote:

>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVOLVPA
>

Strange they list Windows 10 as OS. Is that right?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Joey,

Chromebook run ChromeOS (the BIOS is set that way). But the hack allows you to boot Linux on USB.

In general, BIOS can boot a Linux or Windows system on USB.

So it is possible to boot Windows, too, if you can find the specific instruction for it. Don't buy before you research and found the instruction.

Also, there is a Chrome Recovery procedure to flash the BIOS back to factory condition (in case you want to use Chrome, or to sell it).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2022 02:35PM by bodhi.
bodhi Wrote:
> Joey,
>
> Chromebook run ChromeOS (the BIOS is set that
> way). But the hack allows you to boot Linux on
> USB.
>
> In general, BIOS can boot a Linux or Windows
> system on USB.
>
> So it is possible to boot Windows, too, if you can
> find the specific instruction for it. Don't
> buy before you research and found the
> instruction.
>
> Also, there is a Chrome Recovery procedure to
> flash the BIOS back to factory condition (in case
> you want to use Chrome, or to sell it).

The good news, my income went up a hair but not enough for non-Black Friday deals. But if there's a possibility for a convertible computer including Windows 10-, that helps my world a lot! I'm stunned. There's the thought Universities are getting out right about now and there will be a lot of used stuff out there, but I really like the idea of a warranty even though I take good care of stuff.

Any time you guys know of deals like that, I'll surely be better advised what's what. I need three computers this year to replace very old stuff; the first could be a lightweight job like one of those. Even better if you can add RAM. Still, since most laptops (i can't speak anything about a Chromebook) use one RAM for graphics and general RAM, there's a lag you can never overcome, but it's still ideal for so much it's sick. In a good way.

I'm nearby; really thank you bodhi and everyone

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Joey,

> The good news, my income went up a hair

I'd raise a glass any time I hear that! and I want more excuses during this pandemic :))

Chromebook is amazingly a good deal, if you know how to manage the storage.

IOW, running Linux is a done deal, but running Windows you'd need to add a USB HDD to make Windows behave decently.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.