Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any notable rugged USB flash drives? Even wear leveling if relevant.

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Any notable rugged USB flash drives? Even wear leveling if relevant.
June 08, 2022 10:26PM
There's all kinds of software that uses a USB stick to Authorize the license so the software can be used offline. It's software I not only paid decent $'s for, there's only one authorization, meaning if the USB stick fails I'm out in the cold (making that nighttime or even winter LOL).

SanDisk is definitely a reliable stick, as we all know you can run an OS for years on them. Some USB sticks and other stuff run a lot hotter when they're operating at 5 Ghz or whatever, and the thought has crossed my mind that a Cruzer Glide might have a temperature advantage in that most circuits running USB 2.0 speed is thermally cool. Some Fit-style USB sticks have run very hot on me in the past, but that may have been PNY brand.

It's the only question I asked the Free online help department and no answer in days LOL

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Any notable rugged USB flash drives? Even wear leveling if relevant.
June 10, 2022 06:30AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... It's software I not only paid decent $'s for, there's only one authorization, meaning if the USB stick fails I'm out in the cold (making that nighttime or even winter LOL).
>
Before performing the authorization, there is always some good reasons one may wanna make an image of the USB memory stick. One of them is pretty obvious as you mentioned in your OP above. The other reason is simply to study what file(s) may have been added/deleted/ and/or modified in the authorization process. This is usually done by by comparing the already authorized USB memory stick with a never-been used for the authorization. I strongly recommend that you first try to perform the authorization using the duplicate USB memory stick. If the process fails, then perhaps there is an additional hardware module added by the manufacturer to perform some kind of a checksum.

BTW, if I may ask the software name that you bought that employs such an authorization scheme, please.
June 10, 2022 10:19AM
habibie Wrote:

> BTW, if I may ask the software name that you
> bought that employs such an authorization scheme,
> please.

Great to see you around -=H=- ! It's this:

https://www.waves.com/bundles/diamond

So it's not only important to authorize the stick but also keep all the plugins at the same version, as some software people we deal with put in maybe more effort at strong-arming $$$ from you to them. Yes I know in the wild there are always pirated versions; seems those not legally agreeing to a EULA don't have to deal with one (?).

So far it's looking like a Sandisk USB 3.1 stick @ 128 GB, getting closer. So this way those occasional dongle requests aren't tying up faster buses in the event I use an adapter to plug 3.1 into a USB 2.0 port. That would keep that situation down to the 480kbps even on a faster machine.

When possible, dongles belong in a safe I think. Also Waves gives most purchases an additional plugin that works for only a time period that expires, so there's a lot of adjusting to do if you're customer of theirs. FWIW, Plugin Alliance is a competing company with no less stellar audio processors and I highly recommend their products and laud their practices :-).

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2022 10:31AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
June 10, 2022 05:50PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
> > BTW, if I may ask the software name that you
> > bought that employs such an authorization
> scheme,
> > please.
>
> Great to see you around -=H=- ! It's this:
>
> https://www.waves.com/bundles/diamond
>
Wow and that is certainly beyond my budget. :( I don't know much about this software; however, most of the time when I needed to do some audio mixing, I mostly use free software available from any Linux distros.
June 10, 2022 08:16PM
Joey,

So far it's looking like a Sandisk USB 3.1 stick @ 128 GB, getting closer. So this way those occasional dongle requests aren't tying up faster buses in the event I use an adapter to plug 3.1 into a USB 2.0 port. That would keep that situation down to the 480kbps even on a faster machine.

A reminder. Use a USB 3 hub in this situation. Most controller in USB 3 hub (powered or non-powered) negotiates the speed down very well. The USB 2.0 port sometime is flaky with a USB 3.0 drive plugged in.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.