Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian for older unsupported Chromebooks

Posted by rayknight 
Debian for older unsupported Chromebooks
October 10, 2022 07:48PM
I recently came across my old Samsung Chromebook (the 1st ARM based Chromebook) that is no longer provided updates to Chrome by Google. Found the Velvet OS project on GitHub that provides Debian and Ubuntu images and a build mechanism for not only older Chromebooks but a variety of other ARM devices. I'm happily running Debian Bullseye with kernel 5.18.1 and will be building my on 6.0 version shortly.

Just thought others might be interested as it gives new life to Chromebooks obsoleted by Google.

Ray
Re: Debian for older unsupported Chromebooks
October 14, 2022 11:26PM
rayknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently came across my old Samsung Chromebook
> (the 1st ARM based Chromebook) that is no longer
> provided updates to Chrome by Google. Found the
> Velvet
> OS
project on GitHub that provides Debian
> and Ubuntu images and a build mechanism for not
> only older Chromebooks but a variety of other ARM
> devices. I'm happily running Debian Bullseye with
> kernel 5.18.1 and will be building my on 6.0
> version shortly.
>
> Just thought others might be interested as it
> gives new life to Chromebooks obsoleted by
> Google.
>
> Ray

Thanks Ray, that's got my interest for sure. I've still got two Beelink TV boxes that run last-I-checked unsupported Armbian, one Debian based and other other.. Xubuntu? I forgot the passwords on both and you know how Armbian required a password that makes remembering it unlikely and even ^ and * make a person be certain you're wearing glasses if you need them.

Just lately I tossed the Armbian and am back at an old Android which is as offline as a popcorn machine in Amish country.

This is the time of my life to get some hardware again. Predictions are that Black Friday will have steep discounts on all electronics. I'd also like to make a decent desktop with an Intel i9 somehow work a formula.

For me of course Linux isn't my first language, but I still don't know if there's a formula to getting a new CPU/RAM/MoBo with an OEM Windows 10 Pro or 11?

Thank you Ray and everyone here for all for your enthusiasm that is better news than most news stories right now right?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Debian for older unsupported Chromebooks
March 23, 2023 11:12AM
Excellent tidbit there @rayknight.. i can see me grabbing one of those

rayknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently came across my old Samsung Chromebook
> (the 1st ARM based Chromebook) that is no longer
> provided updates to Chrome by Google. Found the
> Velvet
> OS
project on GitHub that provides Debian
> and Ubuntu images and a build mechanism for not
> only older Chromebooks but a variety of other ARM
> devices. I'm happily running Debian Bullseye with
> kernel 5.18.1 and will be building my on 6.0
> version shortly.
>
> Just thought others might be interested as it
> gives new life to Chromebooks obsoleted by
> Google.
>
> Ray
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.