Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How does Transmission work with non-uPnP router?

Posted by bodhi 
How does Transmission work with non-uPnP router?
January 10, 2014 02:55AM
Hey guys,

I'm on the road, and carrying the Dockstar with me. I'm at a hotel where the router has uPnP disable (I believe so last time I checked). I also have a travel wifi router with me and plug it in the wire to use as a private wifi network. My Dockstar is connected to this private network. On a whim, I started transmission on the Dockstar to try bittorrent downloading to see if it works. And amazingly, it does work! As I understood, transmission uses uPnP to request port forwarding, so how does it work in this case? did it just ignore the reponse status and tried to open it successfully?

My router has an acquired IP of 192.168.1.x so it is obviously behind a NAT in the main router.

Anybody who is familiar with transmission code/design can explain it? Much appreciate!

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 03:00AM by bodhi.
Re: How does Transmission work with non-uPnP router?
January 10, 2014 05:20PM
My guess would be it does not have a uPNP port open but torrent still works as long as the other end has an open port. Uploading would probably work fairly poorly, as would trying to connect to anyone else who could not find an external port.
January 10, 2014 11:24PM
Thanks for that observation. I'll look for whether any uploading is working at all to confirm.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 27, 2014 05:28AM
Did you tried with rtorrent and looked at the rtorrent logs libtorrent would better some better info on it.
February 06, 2014 07:07PM
dinjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you tried with rtorrent and looked at the
> rtorrent logs libtorrent would better some better
> info on it.

I've confirmed what optim said above. Download is fine but no upload at all.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.