Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't restore my Seagate GoFlex Home (U-Boot ALARM) using TFTP: "No link on egiga0"

Posted by cmoewes 
Can't restore my Seagate GoFlex Home (U-Boot ALARM) using TFTP: "No link on egiga0"
October 20, 2014 05:19PM
Hi,

I recently installed Arch Linux ARM on my Seagate GoFlex Home. Now, I'm running on U-Boot 2014.04.R2-1 (May 15 2014 - 14:36:05) Arch Linux ARM. However, I was not able to correctly partition my 3TB hard drive.

That is why I want to install first Jeff's U-Boot and then Rescue V2.8.2. The latter will enable me to run
GoFlexHome> gdisk

Unfortunately after my ALARM installation, I only have a serial connection running. That is why I want to restore my GoFlex Home. However, whenever I want to perform the necessary steps, but
GoFlexHome> tftpboot 0x800000 goflexhome.kwb
results in the following output:
No link on egiga0

So, the TFTP cannot send the necessary installation file to the GoFlex Home.

Any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

Kind regards,
Christian

PS: Here's the output of environment variables:
baudrate=115200
bootcmd=ide reset; usb start; setenv letter 9;for type in ide usb; do for disk in 0; do if ${type} part ${disk};then setexpr letter $letter + 1;run load;fi;done;done;
bootdelay=3
bootm=echo Booting from ${disk} ...; run setargs; bootm ${loadaddr};
bootz=echo Booting from ${disk} ...; run setargs; bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdt_addr};
console=ttyS0
ethact=egiga0
ethaddr=... # removed
fdt_addr=0x800000
fdt_file=/boot/dtbs/kirkwood-goflexnet.dtb
importbootenv=echo Importing environment (uEnv.txt)...; env import -t $loadaddr $filesize
letter=9
load=echo Attempting to boot from ${type} ${disk}:1...;if run loadbootenv; then run importbootenv;fi;echo Checking if uenvcmd is set ...;if test -n $uenvcmd; then echo Running uenvcmd ...;run uenvcmd;fi;e; # probably even longer, did not fit
loadaddr=0x810000
loadbootenv=load ${type} ${disk}:1 ${loadaddr} /boot/uEnv.txt
loadfdt=load ${type} ${disk}:1 ${fdt_addr} ${fdt_file}
loaduimage=load ${type} ${disk}:1 ${loadaddr} ${uimage}
loadzimage=load ${type} ${disk}:1 ${loadaddr} ${zimage}
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),-(rootfs)
setargs=setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} ${optargs} root=/dev/sd${letter}1 rw rootwait ${mtdparts}
uimage=/boot/uImage
zimage=/boot/zImage
Re: Can't restore my Seagate GoFlex Home (U-Boot ALARM) using TFTP: "No link on egiga0"
October 20, 2014 09:04PM
cmoewes,

You need to define serverip and ipaddr before you can use tftp. Serverip is the IP of the tftproot machine, and ipaddr is the IP of this GFHome.
Example:

setenv serverip 192.168.0.100
setenv ipaddr 182.168.0.200

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Hi Bodhi,

thanks for your quick answer. I did define these two variables, too. I just removed them from the list of variables. Sorry about that. Any other idea how to fix that problem?

Kind regards,
Christian
Re: Can't restore my Seagate GoFlex Home (U-Boot ALARM) using TFTP: "No link on egiga0"
October 21, 2014 01:39AM
What does your u-boot banner looks like, i.e version? I doubt that tftp does not work in Jeff or davygravy u-boot. It is a very fundamental command, and I remember using tftp from way back. Did you double check by pinging the server, make sure the tftp server is running, the file is at the tftp root folder, .… things like that?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Dear Bodhi,

you missunderstood a bit. I WANT to install Jeff's and davygravy's u-boot. So far, the one from ALARM's u-boot is running on my GoFlex Home:
U-Boot 2014.04.R2-1 (May 15 2014 - 14:36:05) Arch Linux ARM
Seagate GoFlex Home

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A1
DRAM:  128 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
NAND:  256 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0
88E1116 Initialized on egiga0

The TFTP server is running flawlessly: The file can be transported without any problems (on my desktop computer). Ping fails on the Kirkwood device, saying that the defined server is not alive. I double-checked the corresponding IP address. It's the one of my desktop computer.

Any idea why I cannot reach the server?

Kind regards,
Christian
October 21, 2014 11:54AM
@Christian,

ALARM u-boot should have no problem with tftp (I have only run it once for experiment, though). Can you ping any computer from the serial prompt? or just the tftp server is out of reach?

For sanity, you could use UART booting and boot my u-boot image (download both u-boot and kwboot using links from the 1st post):
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

Further thought:

- FYI. You can use the whole 3TB disk using either ALARM's or my u-boot build as GPT disk. Just format it using a different computer. If that's what you're after.
- And about flashing orginal u-boot, you can use ext2load instead of tftp (put the image on a USB thumb).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 12:01PM by bodhi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.