Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broke: WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable Ext HD

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Broke: WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable Ext HD
August 16, 2015 01:40PM
Just a head'sup, the WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 I bought last week isn't recognized and gives an occasional click. I babied it and kept it on safe surfaces, only used it long enough to copy 750 GB of data. Further evidence I treated it like a baby is my lack of concern of any lost data - I didn't move anything there, only copied. To boot it wasn't connected to the Pogoplug yet, as i had three failsafe devices scheduled to test before it (USB stick, old SATA on USB adapter and G-Connect) and never got past the USB stick.

Your mileage may vary, and for all i know it could be the USB cable or even fix itself, but I know my Windows 7 and how it handles devices and this has biased me to other hard drive brands where possible.
15-day return-exchange policy at Best Buy, so I might add $10 and get a Seagate backup plus or something like that. Still, strangers will have 750 GB of my stuff :-(

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Broke: WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable Ext HD
August 16, 2015 03:56PM
Joey,

> 15-day return-exchange policy at Best Buy, so I
> might add $10 and get a Seagate backup plus or
> something like that. Still, strangers will have
> 750 GB of my stuff :-(

Sorry to hear, that's the death click! it could not hurt if you find a strong magnet and stick it to the disk for a while to mess up the data inside before returning it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Broke: WD My Passport Ultra 1TB Portable Ext HD
August 16, 2015 05:28PM
Cool, I've got a quite powerful bulk eraser from the VHS days.
Also for what it's worth, Best Buy asked me to bring in my desktop to replicate the problem, and I told them I'd try some other computers to make sure. And it displayed when plugged into a Win7x86 laptop! And now nothing in the x64 desktop. So we have an intermittent! I can understand Best Buy or any other company making sure rough treatment isn't rewarded, but this has me with a headache - in Device Manager it says disabled, and you hit Enable and it says it can't but "device is working properly"...

Ouch, regrets... from now on, Seagate and Hitachi - they've been real good to me (3 perfect Hitachis and I think 4 perfect Seagates, -vs- 4 blown WDs) ), more reliable than any RAM, motherboard or power supply at this point! And my power strips have nice surge/spike/noise implementation and I'm on a "clean" circuit. Booo hisss.....

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2015 05:30PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
False Negative?
August 18, 2015 02:24AM
To be perfectly fair, I went to Windows (7 x64) Device Manager and uninstalled the entry, and it does work now.

Whether or not i try to return/exchange this within the next week is unknown, but wish me luck getting together the jing for a comparable Seagate portable and from then on I'll stick with regular hard drives and SSDs (little ones lol).

That click freaked me out, and I assumed my WD is like the last three that clicked and died too. I don't want to besmirch the reputation of a good product though, and I'll be happy to eat crow if it's good. Maybe check the head parks on Sunday and if it's high for the time used, then get it exchanged.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.