Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Network problem - ubuntu

Posted by Fotex 
Network problem - ubuntu
April 25, 2016 03:30PM
Hey

Im having network trouble with my ubuntu server 3.19.0-58-generic #64~14.04.1-Ubuntu
The server can be running smooth for one week, maybe one month, but then out of nowhere something is somehow conflicting.

The lan still seems to be working but no devices in the house got any connection at all.
Then If I unplug the server networkcable, reboot the router and reboot the server and replug it, everything is up and running again.

I have set the the ip static for the server, choosen an ip out of the ip poolrange and running dhcp on rest of the devices.
If you need more info please let me know what to find.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this annoying problem?

provo@plexen:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.150
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
provo@plexen:~$

Thanks
Re: Network problem - ubuntu
April 25, 2016 06:39PM
does the router also act as the switch for you network? or are you using something else.

are there any errors showing in the logs?
April 26, 2016 01:45AM
Yes the router is also used as switch
I cant find anything in syslog.

I tried using another router, same problem.

Fotex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 01:46AM by Fotex.
April 26, 2016 05:12AM
Fotex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes the router is also used as switch
> I cant find anything in syslog.
>
> I tried using another router, same problem.
>
> Fotex

What type of hardware this Ubuntu server is running on? Do you keep dmesg log on disk?

It's hard to tell what happened exatly at the moment it stops responding without a serial console (I asume you don't have it connected). So next time this occurs, if you can get to the dmesg and syslog in /var/log/, it might show the error.

Or it coulb be something that cause the CPU to go 100% so LAN seems to be alive, but nobody can connect.

Can you still ping the server when this occur?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 26, 2016 05:47AM
The server is some how killing the router / entire network, i cant access anything when this happens.
The laptop shows connected to the router but nothing is working. (No ping respond)

The server is an i5-2400
April 26, 2016 06:44AM
if its on a laptop, my guess is you have a faulty NIC. or some control signal capacitors on the way out/blown.

Try with a seperate usb connected network card or a docking bay if you have one. or if its connected to a docking bay
April 26, 2016 08:22AM
It could be caused by some programs with some sort of memory leaks that start to drain the available RAM. When a system runs out of RAM, a lot of things can happen.
April 26, 2016 10:55AM
The server is a headless box placed in a closet.
My laptop is just one of the devices that also looses connection when this happens.

I found the syslog from last time I had the problem and I know it was arround Apr 22 18.~
I have the compressed dmesg from that week, but they got no timestamp. Is there a way to work arround that and locate the wanted file?
Attachments:
open | download - syslog.txt (98.5 KB)
April 26, 2016 12:30PM
first thing i would do i look to resolve the error and warning messages in the log file you posted

+ use an image that does not have a GUI loaded that consumes resources. if you are running this headless there is no need for a GUI
April 26, 2016 12:49PM
It is ubuntu server, but I have installed gui because Teamviewer needed it run.
April 26, 2016 01:45PM
> if its on a laptop, my guess is you have a faulty
> NIC. or some control signal capacitors on the way
> out/blown.
>

Given the ping does not work, I tend to agree with Gravelrash that it points to the faulty NIC. Or something that took down the network interface.

However, take the compressed dmesg and uncompress it. Check if there is any error like a failing device. And find out how what type of your NIC hardware is, e.g. is that a PCI card, when the server running OK.

If you suspect that is software related, then you can run top in batch mode, and route the log file to /var/log. If logrotate is running, make sure that it also rotate and compress this top output file. This log should tell you if any process took 100% CPU or 100% memory when this occurred. Example:
top -n 5 -b > /var/log/top_5_seconds.log

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 26, 2016 02:49PM
Can that cause all other devices to loose internet connection as well?
I tried to grep through the logfiles searching for errors, and found some.
however I dont know if this is something alerting.
Attachments:
open | download - errors.txt (11.4 KB)
April 26, 2016 03:24PM
Fotex Wrote:
> Can that cause all other devices to loose internet
> connection as well?

yes as it could bark allsorts of noise down the line and flood the network which could overload the router you are on
April 26, 2016 03:49PM
Ok I think ill try and use a pci-card insted of the onboard one, if the logfiles dont show anything at next breakdown.

Thank You All for your response

- fotex
April 26, 2016 05:35PM
From the logs, it seems you are using a motherboard with Intel e1000e ethernet chip. This chip is currently known for locking up for no reason with kernels 4.X, maybe you got hit by the same bug even with an older kernel (when it was rarer).

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=E1000E-Crazy-Hangs

Using another non-Intel chip will probably solve the current issue.

Being Intel, this is probably going to get fixed within a reasonable time scale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 06:12PM by bobafetthotmail.
April 27, 2016 10:35AM
That sounds alot like same isse I got =/
April 27, 2016 03:13PM
Fotex Wrote:
> That sounds alot like same isse I got =/

I'm not sure. They reported the Intel NIC hung, but it did not freeze the LAN for other non-Intel boxes. So your problem might be different. As I suggested, you can run top and log to a file. When this problem occurs in the future, top log might point to a buggy process that hogged the network. Or the lack of that symptom would indicate the NIC driver itself has caused it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 27, 2016 04:33PM
> They reported the Intel NIC hung, but it did not freeze the LAN for other non-Intel boxes.

I'm ready to bet that the Phoronix guy is using pro networking gear like say a pro switch for the very least (he has 20 or 30 PCs in his basement for tests and benches), while Fotex is likely using a consumer-grade device.

It's not the first time a consumer-grade router or switch acts strange on me, I always flash them with OpenWRT or dd-wrt for a reason.
April 28, 2016 05:29AM
I did switch the router first time this happened, but That router was already flashed With dd-wrt.

Im currently running the 5sec top log.

- fotex
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.