Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Those USB 2.0 hubs with switches work with OS sticks

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Those USB 2.0 hubs with switches work with OS sticks
May 07, 2016 07:48PM
Despite my recent bad luck with similar USB 3.0 variants, I scored a 4-port, same as this for the same price.

What surprised me on the ThinClient, was plugging in a Mint 17.3 and Windows 7 USB sticks - the sticks happen to be USB 3.0 but the hub is of course 2.0 - you can leave the Linux switch on and it boots to Mint, power down. Switch that off and Windows on, and Windows boots up.

And while that isn't much less effort than switching USB sticks, it's pretty cool. Windows booted up fine and then installed a hub driver (???) but this paves the way to trying it on Pogoplugs. I'm not on fire to try it because my sticks are the same, but for disabled/handicapped people, one finger vs gripping the USB stick can make a world of difference.

-update- here's a tip/trick: this particular 4-port hub has bright blue lights. Perfect for daylight but a blue flashlight at night. I cut a green Post-It-Note over it and it was bright green. Then another layer and it's a soft green. That's a real quick way to tame it, and of course what you write on the Post-It-Note is illuminated. I'm going to hoard these switchable USB 2.0 hubs for a while, at least at $1.25 apiece shipped!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2016 03:20PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.