Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Openmediavault on raspberry pi 3B+ as nas

Posted by asterix 
Openmediavault on raspberry pi 3B+ as nas
March 11, 2019 01:38AM
raspberry pi 3B+ has upgraded to gigabit network ( actually less than 300mpbs) , faster cpu, much better as mini NAS.

Chose openmediavault as OS , which was developed from Armbian image, but still has some bugs on raspbeery pi 3B+ comparing to the performance on raspberry pi 3B.

The web-gui of openmediavault looks good, you could add plugins ( smb, dlna, utorrent, openvpn.......docker) from web-gui, very easy to use

Unfortunately, raspberry pi 3b+ still has no USB3.0, the max. writing speed on USB 3.0 exgternal drive less than 25MB/s, much better than raspberry pi 3B: about 11MB/s.

Alternative SBC for openmediavault as NAS is rock64, which has one USB3.0 port, someone from rock64 forum declared the writing speed reached 70MB/s. another board with usb3.0 port is from libre computer.ROC-RK3328-CC

Due to high reputation and community contribution, raspberry pi is preferred, but people might be disappointed raspberry pi 4 (with usb3.0?) wasn't released early of 2020.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 02:57AM by asterix.
Re: Openmediavault on raspberry pi 3B+ as nas
March 12, 2019 02:01AM
Just saw this video, which compared some SBC, the rock64 and udoo with gigabit network and usb3.0 much faster, but udoo too expensive, so rock64 could perform better and also cheaper than raspberry pi 3b+

https://youtu.be/jsCgXQjaviM

A seller on ebay offers : $25 including 16gb sd card and power supply, plus $6 for shipping, total $31 is very good price, but this seller has less than 200 transactions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCK64-Single-Board-Computer-Kit-includes-MicroSD-and-Power-Adapter/273697709651?hash=item3fb9a79e53:g:JfsAAOSwYj9cG9oM#shpCntId

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 02:14AM by asterix.
March 12, 2019 12:30PM
Wow, I'm really tempted to get one of those, but I just picked up a Pi 3B for $20 that I couldn't pass up at the time. Thanks for sharing the link.

I just started playing with DietPi on my new 3B and it includes a software manager with a semi-gui via the terminal (sort of like the raspi-config utility). I've installed NextCloud but there are loads of options and it's optimized for the Pi vs. OpenMediaVault.
March 13, 2019 06:57AM
cdlenfert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> , but I jjust picked up a Pi 3B for $20 that I couldn't pass up at the time.
>
Any linky on the above?
March 14, 2019 04:40PM
No, sorry to get your hopes up, it was on Craigslist. I'd be surprised though if there wasn't a Pi deal to be had elsewhere on today of all days.
March 14, 2019 11:14PM
cdlenfert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, sorry to get your hopes up, it was on
> Craigslist. I'd be surprised though if there
> wasn't a Pi deal to be had elsewhere on today of
> all days.

Pi day≠Raspiberry Pi day, but Pi day=Pizza day, Lots of deal on Pizza :)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.