Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

REAPER works on ARM?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
REAPER works on ARM?
March 30, 2019 02:10PM
Cockos REAPER pre-release site asks not to link to them, so it's https :// landoleet . org /
and delete the spaces.

Surely I'm not suggesting anyone run this on a Pogoplug Pro, but if what I'm reading is true, we can run REAPER on small devices. This is a complete game changer for a number of reasons.

1. a Home recording studio can have the control computer right there with no fans wrecking the sound. In theory you could have a breakout box that's around $100 and plug in a professional mic or two. It doesn't compensate for bad acoustics but sure isn't going to make it worse.
2. the networking built in to Reaper means you can have a fire breathing dragon computer in the next room running Reaper which hosts the plugins that need heavy number crunching and send the result back in a few milliseconds. The reason you usually need a powerful computer during the recording phase (as opposed to rendering later) is because stacks of processing need to be done as close to realtime as possible.
3. Reaper is the most efficient of all the multitrackers I've ever tried.

So if any of you are daring and can install any of the ARM-specified Linux releases on the page above, on a small device or any ARM device basically, you're the future, man :-) From my experience I'd recommend 1-2 GB RAM and you'll be comfortable. After install, go into Settings and make sure your audio device is set and your're all set to drag a file into the empty part of the GUI.

My thanks to Habibie for mentioning the studio that comes with Ubuntu.
Any takers?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2019 02:13PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: REAPER works on ARM?
March 30, 2019 05:47PM
Joey,

This REAPER has ARM build, but only for armv7. So you need one of later rPi models, or other MVEBU boxes such as Mirabox or one of these Armada or Dove boxes.

I don't think their build can be compiled on arm v5 boxes such as the Kirwood plugs that we have here, such as Pogo V4 or Pogo E02. Not without a lot of works.

So if you are interested in running that experimental build, get a Dove box (HP T5335z, Chip PC LXD8941, or Dell Wyse T10 / T50) because these are old and low price if you can find them on eBay. Or use rPi (2+). Or sometime a used Mirabox price is likely be under USD$40.

I don't promise to pursue this (no free time to play too much:), but I could see spending a couple hours to try their build on my HP T5335z or Mirabox.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 30, 2019 05:56PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joey,
>
> This REAPER has ARM build, but only for armv7. So
> you need one of later rPi models, or other MVEBU
> boxes such as
> Mirabox
> or one of these
> Armada
> or Dove boxes
>
> I don't think their build can be compiled on arm
> v5 boxes such as the
> Kirwood
> plugs that we have here
, such as Pogo V4 or
> Pogo E02. Not without a lot of works.
>
> So if you are interested in running that
> experimental build, get a Dove box (HP T5335z,
> Chip PC LXD8941, or Dell Wyse T10 / T50) because
> these are old and low price if you can find them
> on eBay. Or use rPi (2+). Or sometime a used
> Mirabox price is likely be under USD$40.
>
> I don't promise to pursue this (no free time to
> play too much:), but I could see spending a couple
> hours to try their build on my HP T5335z or
> Mirabox.

HUGE thanks to you bodhi :-)

Also, all flavors of Reaper have a countdown nag when you start it, so it's always usable without ever paying for it. In fact, a couple of times in the last 13 years my license was moved accidentally and the countdown nag starts up with "you have run REAPER 11,000 times in the last 6 years" (or something like that).. 3...2... now the countdown is slower... 1... lol

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
March 30, 2019 06:49PM
bodhi Wrote:
> Joey,
>
> This REAPER has ARM build, but only for armv7.
>
Will REAPER run on CoreELEC? The reason I asked is because I just received an S912 (octa-core) Android TV Box with 2/16 GB RAM/eMMC storage (Sunveil T95Z+) under US $20 from eBay and it runs on CoreELEC. I believe it is an armv7 platform. If it is a single file (which I doubt), I don't mind trying to run it off a shell prompt.
March 30, 2019 08:03PM
I just downloaded a copy of REAPER for x86_64 platform. I don't have to install to test it. Once I execute reaper, I have no idea how to load any audio/video file to test. It does not seem to have an import function to import any media, does it?
March 30, 2019 08:24PM
habibie Wrote:
> I just downloaded a copy of REAPER for x86_64
> platform. I don't have to install to test it. Once
> I execute reaper, I have no idea how to
> load any audio/video file to test. It does not
> seem to have an import function to import
> any media, does it?

Yeah Ctrl + O should do it. Or make the Reaper windows less than full screen and drop anything audio or some things video into the GUI part. By the way, Reaper has pretty good video editing built in, and if you already have VLC installed, Reaper will use those codecs and a few others like Apple codecs and I can't remember them all.

Remember I have those Beelink X2s with ARMbian but I can't remember what ARM chip is in there. The way I do projects is to get some info like now, and when there's time it's usually less surprises, that's why I ask. Also Justin Frankel, Reaper's creator (and Winamp's too and other things) usually takes advantage of multiple CPU cores real well but I'm not sure this time on ARM.

And Habibie, Reaper can seem daunting at first glance, but there are free videos by Kenny Gioa at the Reaper site and those helped me a lot. Remember that song Sex & Candy? He I think produced that. Sure didn't sing it once you hear his voice LOL :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2019 08:35PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 01, 2019 10:32AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> Yeah Ctrl + O should do it.
>
This open up a new project and will not recognize any VLC video file, unfortunately.

I am used to with a GUI multimedia application to offer an option to load, if not import and/or export, a media file. Too bad this software does NOT seem to offer such an option. Perhaps, this is how it is done in the Windows platform?
April 01, 2019 11:08AM
Joey,

On a Linux desktop computer, I installed some open-source multimedia software packages: MuseScore, Rosegarden, KDEnLive, and OpenShot. The 1st two are mostly for music score editors (audio) while the last two are mostly for video editing. I don't know if you will like them or not, but it certainly won't hurt to give them a try when you are on a Linux desktop computer with more than 4GB RAM. I used the last two last year on my Linux desktop computer with 4 GB RAM and they were alright. I wished my computer had more RAM so they would respond better.

Long ago, I used NoteEdit on my Linux desktop computer to compose piano scores. Its development ceases to exist and is no longer maintained since 2014 (perhaps, it couldn't compete with MuseScore?). If you are into music scores, perhaps this link that shows some free/commercial music score editors for either Linux and/or Windows platforms may interest you. For me, I am a pretty happy camper with MuseScore.
April 01, 2019 12:49PM
habibie Wrote:
> Joey,
>
> On a Linux desktop computer, I installed some
> open-source multimedia software packages:
> MuseScore,
> Rosegarden,
> KDEnLive, and
> OpenShot. The
> 1st two are mostly for music score editors (audio)
> while the last two are mostly for video editing. I
> don't know if you will like them or not, but it
> certainly won't hurt to give them a try when you
> are on a Linux desktop computer with more than 4GB
> RAM. I used the last two last year on my Linux
> desktop computer with 4 GB RAM and they were
> alright. I wished my computer had more RAM so they
> would respond better.
>
> Long ago, I used
> NoteEdit
> on my Linux desktop computer to compose piano
> scores. Its development ceases to exist and is no
> longer maintained since 2014 (perhaps, it couldn't
> compete with MuseScore?). If you are into music
> scores, perhaps this
> link
> that shows some free/commercial music score
> editors for either Linux and/or Windows platforms
> may interest you. For me, I am a pretty happy
> camper with
> MuseScore.

I sure thank you for that, as I know very little about which Video apps are good. The only reason I mentioned Reaper is because my two cameras are Canon, and they both have two high frequency artifacts that need to be tamed, but otherwise they're the basis of some fun video experiments. In Windows land my other DAW is Presonus Studio One, which supposedly has good score editor but that's not my ... are you ready for this? Forte, it's not my forte, much less mezzo forte Ba Doom Shhh whew! (sorry).

I can't wait to try all the apps you mentioned. One question, I see KDE in the name of one of them, does that require KDE or for that matter will all of those run on Debian or what do you recommend?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 01, 2019 01:05PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> I can't wait to try all the apps you mentioned. One question, I see KDE in the name of one of them, does that require KDE or for that matter will all of those run on Debian or what do you recommend?
>
My Linux desktop computer that I used to run both KDEnlive and OpenShot is based on the OpenSuSE Linux distro. A computer with a minimal 4 GB RAM, I strongly recommend to install Ubuntu (with LXDE GUI or it is call LUbuntu distro). Although I never tested these two software on my other Linux desktop computer, an AMD Phenom II X3 (with 4 GB RAM), it runs pretty happy and responsive with LUbuntu. I believe you can install both software with LUbunto distro, too. BTW, I believe Ubuntu also support ARM S912 platform and perhaps you can try to install the software to test it on an S912 platform?
April 01, 2019 03:02PM
habibie Wrote:
> JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I can't wait to try all the apps you mentioned.
> One question, I see KDE in the name of one of
> them, does that require KDE or for that matter
> will all of those run on Debian or what do you
> recommend?
> >
> My Linux desktop computer that I used to run both
> KDEnlive and OpenShot is based on the
> OpenSuSE
> Linux distro. A computer with a minimal 4 GB RAM,
> I strongly recommend to install Ubuntu (with LXDE
> GUI or it is call LUbuntu distro). Although I
> never tested these two software on my other Linux
> desktop computer, an AMD Phenom II X3 (with 4 GB
> RAM), it runs pretty happy and responsive with
> LUbuntu. I believe you can install both software
> with LUbunto distro, too. BTW, I believe Ubuntu
> also support ARM S912 platform and perhaps you can
> try to install the software to test it on an S912
> platform?

Yes, two Beelink X2s here and one has ARM Debian and the other has Xubuntu (or is that Xenial? something Ubuntu-reduced). I waited a long time because it took that long for me to get a couple digital monitors and the interconnects, but it's fairly there. Analog monitors displayed too weird.

Are you saying that chipset is the one that may run Reaper?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 03:04PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 01, 2019 10:34PM
Joey,

Kubuntu, Xbuntu,... they are all Ubuntu derivatives. Just like Mint, also a Ubuntu derivative.

> Yes, two Beelink X2s here

> Are you saying that chipset is the one that may
> run Reaper?

If it is armv7 it should. Can you post tthe Beelink X2 specs? I recall it is in the forum in some posts long ago.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 01, 2019 10:57PM
bodhi Wrote:

> If it is armv7 it should. Can you post tthe
> Beelink X2 specs? I recall it is in the forum in
> some posts long ago.

Beelink X2 specifications:

SoC – Allwinner H3 quad core ARM Cortex A7 @ 1.2GHz with quad core Mali-400MP2
System Memory – 1 GB RAM
Storage – 8 GB NAND flash + micro SD slot up to 32GB
Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
Video Output – HDMI up to 4K2K @ 30Hz
Audio Output – HDMI, and optical S/PDIF
USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
Misc – IR receiver, power button and LED
Power Supply – 5V/2A (power barrel)
Dimensions – 11 x 11 x 1.75 cm
Weight – 162 grams

I grabbed this elsewhere and I hope there's enough to know. Three minutes left of my birthday, well that's how it wraps up
this year then :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.