Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hard drive for Pogoplug torrents?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Hard drive for Pogoplug torrents?
July 06, 2019 11:05AM
I find myself with a hand-me-down 2.5" smaller hard drive, and direct copied my Pogoplug 64GB USB stick to it. Then used GParted to expand the partition to capacity. It does work when plugged in with a USB adapter, I got that far and have one last round of tests such as power consumption and spin down.

But what I'd like to do is seed torrents that are old and unpopular. So it would seem to be good if the hard drive spins down for the days and weeks it's not wanted.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Hard drive for Pogoplug torrents?
July 06, 2019 04:19PM
All should be good if you set it to spin down with
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/hdparm.8.html or similar

JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find myself with a hand-me-down 2.5" smaller
> hard drive, and direct copied my Pogoplug 64GB USB
> stick to it. Then used GParted to expand the
> partition to capacity. It does work when plugged
> in with a USB adapter, I got that far and have one
> last round of tests such as power consumption and
> spin down.
>
> But what I'd like to do is seed torrents that are
> old and unpopular. So it would seem to be good if
> the hard drive spins down for the days and weeks
> it's not wanted.
Re: Hard drive for Pogoplug torrents?
July 06, 2019 06:29PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All should be good if you set it to spin down with
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/hdparm.8.html
> or similar
>
> JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I find myself with a hand-me-down 2.5" smaller
> > hard drive, and direct copied my Pogoplug 64GB
> USB
> > stick to it. Then used GParted to expand the
> > partition to capacity. It does work when
> plugged
> > in with a USB adapter, I got that far and have
> one
> > last round of tests such as power consumption
> and
> > spin down.
> >
> > But what I'd like to do is seed torrents that
> are
> > old and unpopular. So it would seem to be good
> if
> > the hard drive spins down for the days and
> weeks
> > it's not wanted.

That's a long page but I skimmed over it and imagine I can SSH in and change an entry in /etc/hdparm.conf ?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Hard drive for Pogoplug torrents?
July 06, 2019 08:35PM
Joey,

No need to. See the Wiki

Quote

Linux Tools

Debian hdparm (HDD spin down)

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,24943,24944#msg-24944


But if the rootfs (i.e. system) is on HDD, you can't spin it down. It will spin back up whenever some job is running. Even you are not doing anything, there is always some maintenance jobs kick off during the night.

To make the HDD spin down all the time until torrent is uploaded, the rootfs must be on USB.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Hard drive for Pogoplug torrents?
July 06, 2019 10:08PM
>
> But if the rootfs (i.e. system) is on HDD, you
> can't spin it down. It will spin back up whenever
> some job is running. Even you are not doing
> anything, there is always some maintenance jobs
> kick off during the night.
>
> To make the HDD spin down all the time until
> torrent is uploaded, the rootfs must be on USB.

Great, that saved me grief. With the Pogoplugs, at least the E02 I'm aiming to shave a hair off the wattage, so maybe my best strategy is to start using 128 GB SanDisk sticks, because those would be a good value figuring 2 years life expectancy and $20 when it's on sale. I've slowly been hoarding 64GB sticks but they're not quite enough.

And int he meantime just plug the hard drive in once or twice a week and see if it's getting bites, because other seeders seem to do that with me, where you wait 10 days and all of a sudden 40 GB comes in overnight.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Hard drive for Pogoplug torrents?
July 07, 2019 04:06PM
Joey,

> Great, that saved me grief. With the Pogoplugs, at
> least the E02 I'm aiming to shave a hair off the
> wattage, so maybe my best strategy is to start
> using 128 GB SanDisk sticks, because those would
> be a good value figuring 2 years life expectancy
> and $20 when it's on sale. I've slowly been
> hoarding 64GB sticks but they're not quite enough.
>

If you are going to run this 24/7, then further preparation is needed to make the USB last longer.

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,13702,13704#msg-13704

I know there is not much details in my description in above post!

However, the 1st was already taken care of since you are using my basic rootfs.

Quote

1. Use busybox-syslogd to log to RAM.

Regarding 2nd item, since you are going to run transmission. More fine tune is needed to help tranmission to only write/read its files in RAM. Without doing this, it will write the status to the USB rootfs often during download/upload.

Quote

2. For each package you installed, either specify the log file in /tmp. Or overmount the log files to /tmp (mount -o bind).

>
> And int he meantime just plug the hard drive in
> once or twice a week and see if it's getting
> bites, because other seeders seem to do that with
> me, where you wait 10 days and all of a sudden 40
> GB comes in overnight.

You can leave it in all the time and set it to spin down.

===

So go ahead and set it up to run first. When you got it working, come back and I show you how to take care of item 2.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Author:

Your Email:


Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: