Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

128M nand on iomega HMNHDCE

Posted by sobir 
128M nand on iomega HMNHDCE
July 21, 2019 03:49PM
I soldered 128M nand to iomega HMNHDCE motherboard and added resistors (10 ohm resistor array). Here is picture: photo
Right now I'm using oldzeus's uboot where nand is not supported. I tried new spl for pogoplug and nand was recognized (HURRAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!). It shows 16M at first boot and 128M at reboot, I don't know why, is it normal?
bodhi is helping me right now to get to sata booted with new uboot and I'll flush nand to boot to usb to omv (openmediavault). So I will be able to use omv with sata property (swap and swipe hdd without compromising ability to boot)
But my big plane is to solder 16Gb nand to motherboard and have omv without need for usb. I doubt processor will support it, but nothing wrong with trying. It will be awesome for all iomega HMNHDCE owners to know. This is really is giving second life to it.
My other big plane is to attach arduino beetle with small screen and couple of buttons in front panel of iomega HMNHDCE. So it will have a menu with control and info like ip, volume, temperature and ability to change ip, reboot, choose boot directory from brub maby, or boot from tftp. Isn't it cool?
Anyway I'll keep you posted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2019 03:54PM by sobir.
Re: 128M nand on iomega HMNHDCE
July 22, 2019 11:08AM
Hi everyone!
Anybody have iomega storcenter ix2 or iomega home media network hard drive please take a close picture of this components here. Thees are fan support to control and reed fan speed. I need names written on tree legged transistors/diods and values of capacitors. I have iomega HMNHDCE and I want to install fan here, but I don't know what components to solder.
Or better option if anybody have not working iomega ix2 or iomega home media network hard drive I will buy it for parts. You can post it on Ebay for me.
Thank you!
Miclaud
April 01, 2021 01:59AM
Hi sobir,

did you eventually manage to make Iomega Home Media able to work with new u-boot?

Thank you
April 01, 2021 04:25PM
Hello. Unfortunately no.
I soldered emmc to motherboard and flushed to hdd firware from other same cpu with emmc devices, it recognized my emmc but fail to boot further. Apparently different devices of same cpu are using different gpio ports so iomega HM is dead for good. There's no developer willing to create devices specific boot file to load kernel.
Especially now we have raspberry pi and other arm based psbs using emmc I lost any interest on Iomega. I want to throw it to garbage.
Only warm memories I have it helped me learn ina and outs of Linux command line.
For long run I don't recommend to waist time on arm based cpus. You can build baget amd cpu server with m.2 ssds
April 01, 2021 06:17PM
sobir,

> Apparently different devices of same cpu are using
> different gpio ports so iomega HM is dead for
> good. There's no developer willing to create
> devices specific boot file to load kernel.

I don't recall anybody has requested me to write a new DTS for this box. This box is similar to the Pogo Pro V3/Classic, so you can boot with stock u-boot and load the DTB to run Debian. No need for new u-boot.

I might not have time to complete everything in one go, but to get it booting is probably not too time consuming.

> For long run I don't recommend to waist time on
> arm based cpus. You can build baget amd cpu server
> with m.2 ssds

ARM is low power, and has even more supports than x86. The bad luck is you've picked the OXNAS SoC box to play with! (OXNAS is still alive in mainline, though). If it were Kirkwood or Armada SoC then most likely we have everything you ever need here.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.