Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x86 SBC on the way, Rock Pi X $39

Posted by asterix 
x86 SBC on the way, Rock Pi X $39
September 13, 2019 11:15AM
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/09/11/rock-pi-x-low-cost-intel-sbc/

Rock Pi X just showed up in Hackerboards database, and there will be two models, namely Rock Pi X model A and Rock Pi X model B with the following specifications:

SoC – Intel Atom x5-Z8300 “Cherry Trail” quad-core processor @ 1.44 GHz / 1.84 GHz (Turbo) with Intel Gen8 HD graphics @ 500 MHz

System Memory – 1 GB, 2 GB. or 4GB LPDDR3-1866

Storage – MicroSD card socket, eMMC flash socket

Video Output / Display I/F – HDMI 1.4 port up to 4K @ 30 Hz, eDP and MIPI DSI connectors

Audio I/O – Via HDMI, 3.5mm audio jack

Connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet

Model B only – 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.2 Classic + LE

USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 3x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB OTG Type-C port

Camera I/F – MIPI CSI connector

Expansion – 40-pin Raspberry Pi compatible header with GPIOs, 2x ADC, 2x PWM, 2x I2C

Misc – RTC

Power Supply

5V-20V up to 3A/1A Via USB-C port with QC and PD fast charging support;

AXP288C PMIC

Model B only – optional PoE support via additional HAT

Dimensions – 85 x 52 mm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 11:23AM by asterix.
Re: x86 SBC on the way, Rock Pi X $39
September 13, 2019 11:17AM
It's very good news for linux fans, you don't need to find or wait special pack for arm device if with such x86 board.
September 13, 2019 11:50AM
asterix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's very good news for linux fans, you don't need
> to find or wait special pack for arm device if
> with such x86 board.

That'll help a lot of Windows and Mac users find the justification to start using Linux and ARM land as well. I say that because Linux on x86 has some real good things going on as ARM catches up. Add DropBox and a few other doo dads that are much appreciated on a tiny little hardware box.

There's a breaking point going on in those areas where Windows 10 users are tired of what seems like an OS within the OS that does nothing but update, and I know Mac audio plugin developers have another mud drag trying to crowbar their work to Catalina.

The 4GB RAM version of this could run REAPER and get high end audio projects and basic video editing right there.

I'm amazed. It's on the Black Friday list :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 01:11PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Martin_1111
September 16, 2019 09:06AM
Atom Z83xx based boards in NUC style housings with Brick type power supply are available since years for below 100 $...

https://www.banggood.com/Z83-II-Intel-Atom-x5-Z8350-2GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-TV-Box-p-1103665.html?ID=3426&cur_warehouse=CN

Its a question whether the Rock Pi X is cheaper at the end after buying the necessary accessories.

But perhaps there is a greater chance to get a ready-to-use Linux - image for the Rock Pi X ....
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.