Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good File Indexer for Debian on PogoPlug V4

Posted by Nirmal_Kumar 
Good File Indexer for Debian on PogoPlug V4
January 20, 2020 11:57PM
Hi All,

Can someone suggest a good light weight file manager cli or web utility to run on this PogoPlug V4 Box ?

I have lot of files in a 1 TB HDD which was connected to the Pogo. It's really hard to search the files quickly. Looking for some utility which can index the filename in the background and provide a cli or web interface to quickly search them.

Regards
Nirmal
Re: Good File Indexer for Debian on PogoPlug V4
January 21, 2020 06:57AM
Nirmal_Kumar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have lot of files in a 1 TB HDD which was connected to the Pogo. It's really hard to search the files quickly. Looking for some utility which can index the filename in the background and provide a cli or web interface to quickly search them.
>
I don't know how to index filename. However, on any Linux system, you can use GNU find utility, i.e. find [path to directory] -name "filename" -print > [output filename], to search for files and redirect its output to a file. If that's what you call to index, then that's it. As an example, if you want to index for all PDF files in /external/data directory and all of its sub-directories, then find /external/data -name "*.PDF" -print > /tmp/indexed_PDF_files.txt will suffice. If you are afraid of using the redirect (">") command, then you can use the -exec {} 'command' \; phrase in find. You can run man find to learn more about this GNU find utility. You can also search for more information about how to use the GNU find utility in AskUbuntu.
Re: Good File Indexer for Debian on PogoPlug V4
February 19, 2020 04:43AM
a good lightweight file manager is midnight commander - i use it quite extensively.

apt-get install mc -y
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.