Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

serial for pogo pink?

Posted by sdmann 
sdmann
serial for pogo pink?
November 08, 2010 03:53PM
Hi All,

First, thanks Jeff for all the great work and all the responses here. I would not have gotten this far this fast without it!

So, now for something really simple.

I've constructed a null modem cable. It has a DB-9 connector at one end and a USB-A connector at the other. I know this cable works, because I've tested it between two Linux systems - setting up one with *getty and the other using variously minicom and cu. It works at speeds from 9600 to 115200.

I have a pogo pink with Jeff's latest uboot image. It boots fine, but won't boot from the USB drive...I think that the drive/controller may be too slow. But that's ok, I have this fabulous serial cable, so I should be able to see what's going on.

OK. Now, I connect the cable to the pogo pink (with or without the USB drive attached - behavior is the same except with the drive attached it takes longer to boot). On the linux system, I either run cu or minicom on /dev/ttyS0. Then I reboot the pink pogo. All I get are a few non-printable characters. In the past, when I've seen this, it usually ends up being a baud rate or flow control issue...but I've played with all of that and nothing seems to work. I get these non-printable characters when I use the configuration described at http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/SystemSetup#Section_4.1. Basically, it is 115200, 8N1, and no hardware flow control.

Any ideas? I suppose I could just try the nc stuff, but I would really like to get this working - it seems that I must be missing something really simple. Does it matter which USB port on the pink I use?

TIA
-Scott
ecc
Re: serial for pogo pink?
November 08, 2010 04:51PM
U-Boot doesn't know how to use a USB-serial adapter, only a true serial port. I don't have a Pink Pogoplug, but if it's sufficiently like the DockStar then that means finding the on-board connector and attaching a modified USB-to-3.3V cable (like the Nokia CA-42 clones that you can find cheaply on eBay) -- not a regular one like you describe (because that will probably use 5V and fry the onboard serial circuit).

There's a long thread about which cables and connectors people have used on the plugapps.com hardware forum.

Now, having said all that, you probably can configure Linux to use the USB-serial adapter as its console, so you can see the early boot messages that way, but that's not your problem. If you don't want to mess with connecting a cable, then netconsole is your best alternative.
Re: serial for pogo pink?
November 08, 2010 05:06PM
Well, that explains a lot! Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.