Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Netgear Stora MS2110 rootfs Bad Magic Number

Posted by Teddy 
StormyWolf
Re: Netgear Stora MS2110 rootfs Bad Magic Number
May 24, 2021 12:20AM
Hey Bodhi,

I've been following multiple post on here where you've been helping people unbrick or upgrade their devices.
I have inherited a Netgear Stora from someone that they had reset (and therefore couldn't access the online accounts anymore) and I did successfully root it. But during my mad searching and testing, following instructions online to install debian (before I found you guide) I managed to mess it up completely having pretty much the same issues Paul and some others have faced.

Currently I get the everything is deleted, can't create new settings and for whatever reason doesn't I can't get the usb to load. On the rare occasion it detects the storage device, it tells me it's a bad partition and can't boot from it.

I can access it from the serial cable to view it but kwboot just gives the "restart" and then the handshake code with no boot and nothing happens after.

I'm still getting used to linux systems, been away from them for a few years so don't know if it's my own mistakes by forgetting a simple thing or my usb is useless or i've just bricked it but would appreciate your help if you can!

-Mitch
Re: Netgear Stora MS2110 rootfs Bad Magic Number
May 24, 2021 02:05AM
Hey Mitch,

Sounds like it is only semibricked.

> I can access it from the serial cable to view it
> but kwboot just gives the "restart" and then the
> handshake code with no boot and nothing happens
> after.

The best way forward is to get it to boot to the Debian USB rootfs.

So create the rootfs on USB using Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 from the release thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

And the connect serial console, attach the USB rootfs. And power up. Interrupt serial console and

printenv
usb reset
If the USB is detected as storage device,
usb part
ext2ls usb 0:1 /boot

If the USB is not detected, do a few
usb reset
(wait a few seconds in between each usb reset).
and repeat
usb part
ext2ls usb 0:1 /boot

And then post the entire serial console log here.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.