Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stora NFS Root?

Posted by SDNick484 
Stora NFS Root?
May 19, 2020 04:31PM
Does anyone by any chance have an NFS root image for the Netgear Stora (or instructions on how to build one) by any chance available? The from openstora is long gone and doesn't seem to be mirrored anywhere.
Re: Stora NFS Root?
May 19, 2020 04:42PM
SDNick484,

> Does anyone by any chance have an NFS root image
> for the Netgear Stora (or instructions on how to
> build one) by any chance available? The from
> openstora is long gone and doesn't seem to be
> mirrored anywhere.

You can use Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 rootfs. See my release thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
May 20, 2020 02:58AM
Thank you for the quick reply! Following your instructions I was able to build what appears to be a working uImage. I've gotten to the point where I see the TFTP complete the transfer of that image, followed by a few ARP requests, then a series of NFS calls however I can't seem to get past that. Looking at traffic in wireshark I see a series of V2 GETATTR calls, and I was curious if you by any chance had insight.

I'll note that to get this far I've had to re-enable NFSv2 and UDP. I do see a message, "rpc.mountd[5411]: authenticated mount request from 10.212.103.240:687 for /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs" in my logs (where /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs is where your extracted rootfs files are located.
May 20, 2020 03:26AM
See the Wiki thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,23630

Specifically:

HOWTO : NFS
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,28351

"Section Three" Boot from NFS share

The following link gives the steps necessary to configure your u-boot to boot from the NFS share. Please note though that although it discusses using TFTP in the process, this is not necessary and those steps can be avoided.
Boot your Dockstar/Plug by TFTP/NFS

an example uboot statement kindly provided by the master of u-boot @bodhi is included below for you to amend / modify to match your share description and nfs path

bootcmd_nfs=setenv nfs_server "192.168.0.224"; setenv nfs_path "/srv/nfs/hosts/tldDebian2"; setenv nfs_bootcmd "run nfs_set_bootargs; run nfs_boot"; setenv nfs_ipconfig "192.168.0.229:192.168.0.224:192.168.0.1:255.255.0.0:tldDebian2::off"; setenv nfs_set_bootargs "setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=$nfs_server:$nfs_path,v3 rootfstype=nfs rootwait ip=$nfs_ipconfig $mtdparts"; setenv nfs_load_uimage "nfs 0x800000 $nfs_server:$nfs_path/boot/uImage"; setenv nfs_load_uinitrd "nfs 0x1100000 $nfs_server:$nfs_path/boot/uInitrd"; setenv nfs_load_dtb "nfs 0x1c00000 $nfs_server:$nfs_path/boot/dts/kirkwood-pogo_e02.dtb"; setenv nfs_bootm "bootm 0x800000 0x1100000 0x1c00000"; setenv nfs_boot "run nfs_load_uimage; run nfs_load_uinitrd; run nfs_load_dtb; run nfs_bootm"; echo "Booting NFS root…"; run nfs_bootcmd

If you are running stock Stora u-boot, it might be different. My setting to boot NFS rootfs above is done using the new u-boot:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 20, 2020 03:30AM
Also some useful discussion here:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12261,101364#msg-101364

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 03:30AM by bodhi.
May 20, 2020 02:13PM
Thanks again @bodhi -- that thread was exactly what I needed. The missing step was simply editing my fstab to expect root on nfs instead of ext3. I am on the stock u-boot however it still supports NFS root.

In case anyone stumbles upon it, I needed to:
  • Enable NFS v2 and UDP (so use parameters "-u -V 2" for rpc.nfsd)
  • Place your rootfs in /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs/
  • Build a uImage for stora and ensure tftpd was serving it

I'm now trying to figure out how to modify the stock firmware file system to update /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow. Alternatively, I may want to replace the firmware with your build although I'm a little hesitant as I don't have a USB to Serial cable handy.
May 20, 2020 03:10PM
Looks like in order to edit the built in image, I'll need to mount some mtd/ufi file systems but am missing modules. Is there a simple way for me to build or download a module for that?
May 20, 2020 03:51PM
Correction, looks like MTD & UFI support are built into the kernel (just not modules).

I was able to mount them via:
mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 /home/

Not sure if it was necessary, but prior to mounting I had also ran: ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 2 -O 2048
May 20, 2020 06:00PM
SDNick484,

> Correction, looks like MTD & UFI support are built
> into the kernel (just not modules).

Right on! that was the intention to have it right away during boot.

>
> I was able to mount them via:
> mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 /home/
>
> Not sure if it was necessary, but prior to
> mounting I had also ran: ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl
> -m 2 -O 2048

Yes, usually you need to ubiattach it in userspace. Because if it was not specified in the kernel bootarg, it will not be attached automatically.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.