Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Pogoplug Mobile/Series 4] Install uBoot/Debian

Posted by bodhi 
Re: [Pogoplug Mobile] Install uBoot/Debian
March 12, 2013 09:35PM
Still didn't work after I generated new /boot/uImage and /boot/uInitrd. I got the following output:

root@debian:/# dpkg -i linux-image-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld_11.0_armel.deb
(Reading database ... 12660 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld 11.0 (using linux-image-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld_11.0_armel.deb) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
Done.
Unpacking replacement linux-image-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.28-kirkwood-tld /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-flash-kernel 3.2.28-kirkwood-tld /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld
Setting up linux-image-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld (11.0) ...

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.2.28-kirkwood-tld/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.2.28-kirkwood-tld/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.2.28-kirkwood-tld/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.2.28-kirkwood-tld/source

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.28-kirkwood-tld /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld
flash-kernel: deferring update (trigger activated)
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-flash-kernel 3.2.28-kirkwood-tld /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.28-kirkwood-tld
flash-kernel: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for flash-kernel ...
Kernel suffix tld does not match any of the expected flavors (kirkwood), therefore not writing it to flash.
March 12, 2013 09:47PM
It looks normal, should work now.
March 12, 2013 09:52PM
But what does "not writing it to flash" mean?
March 12, 2013 10:00PM
March 12, 2013 10:18PM
I see. It is written in flash by doing mkimage stuff.
I rebooted with out change the arcNumber (still 2097) and it boots with no complaint. Now what I supposed to do to trigger the leds? I tried "echo default-on >/sys/class/leds/status\:green\:health/trigger" on the login terminal window but got: "-bash: /sys/class/leds/status:blue:health/trigger: No such file or directory". Do I need to change the arcNumber before booting?
March 12, 2013 10:34PM
Try it, you will be pleased.
March 12, 2013 10:36PM
Also, as bodhi said:

Do not forget

machid=dd6
March 12, 2013 11:14PM
Sigh. Try as I might to make "machid=dd6" work on a Pogoplug E02, every time I add it to the uBoot environment, I wind up with a box that won't boot. I thought it was due to the squeeze kernel (2.6.32-5-kirkwood) that I had been running not recognizing the Pogo dd6 id, but tonight I genned up a wheezy load (complete with 3.2.0-4-kirkwood kernel) and it still wouldn't boot. I built wheezy by doing a dist-upgrade on a squeeze load rather than building a new wheezy load from scratch.

Any ideas?
March 12, 2013 11:23PM
Indeed, it works for me! However, in my case, the machid is F78 for Pogo Mobile.
Now next step is to make the wifi work. Any references/suggestions?*
March 12, 2013 11:25PM
restamp,

To my understanding, machid=dd6 and the new arcNumber only work for the kernel that supports it.

That kernel is bodhi's 3.2.28-kirkwood-tld.

So, after dist-updating to wheezy, you might need to install bodhi's kernel before setting machid and arcNumber accordingly.

That is the exact path I took.

Cheers,

Yong
March 12, 2013 11:34PM
syong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> restamp,
>
> To my understanding, machid=dd6 and the new
> arcNumber only work for the kernel that supports
> it.
>
> That kernel is bodhi's 3.2.28-kirkwood-tld.
>
> So, after dist-updating to wheezy, you might need
> to install bodhi's kernel before setting machid
> and arcNumber accordingly.
>
> That is the exact path I took.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Yong

Exactly :)

@restamp, the patch for Popgo E02 is not in the mainline Wheezy yet. The Dockstar is in since Squeeze.
March 12, 2013 11:40PM
syong Wrote:
> bodhi,
>
> Thank you for your kernel as it works perfectly on
> my two e02s for a while now.
>
> I just wonder why symlink vmlinuz and initird.img
> in the last step as I removed them on one of my
> e02 and seems does not make any difference.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Yong

Hi Yong,

Creating symlinks for these 2 files are really just a precaution. Certain setup (e.g. uBit) needs these 2 files to boot. So it it's good to have them there for completeness, but not really needed for uBoot.

-bodhi
March 12, 2013 11:47PM
Got it, thanks bodhi.
March 12, 2013 11:59PM
I see. Thanks syong and bodhi for the information. The only thing the "machid=dd6"-knowledgeable kernel buys you is the ability to control the green LED, right? If this is the case, I think I'll just wait until wheezy incorporates the Pogo line. (Heck, most of the machines I run are still on squeeze, so it's immaterial.) If I install bodhi's special kernel, then I'll have to keep tabs on it with every upgrade affecting the kernel, right?

Thanks again.
March 13, 2013 12:17AM
restamp Wrote:
> I see. Thanks syong and bodhi for the
> information. The only thing the
> "machid=dd6"-knowledgeable kernel buys you is the
> ability to control the green LED, right? If this
> is the case, I think I'll just wait until wheezy
> incorporates the Pogo line. (Heck, most of the
> machines I run are still on squeeze, so it's
> immaterial.) If I install bodhi's special kernel,
> then I'll have to keep tabs on it with every
> upgrade affecting the kernel, right?
>
> Thanks again.

Restamp, not really needed to keep tabs, because you can do apt-get update, and upgrade to get the latest bug fixes or enhancements like a vanilla kernel. Only when you do dist-upgrade, then it has a chance of generating new initramfs image. And that could be prevented by trying a test run with apt-get -s dist-upgrade. But you're right, if you're happy with mainline squeeze/wheezy then it is immaterial! only thing gained is a nice and controllable LED on Pogo E02. For other boxes, it is more relevant. I think the Pogo E02 is not going to be accepted into any mainline kernel before 3.5 (iirc, when Device Tree is implemented, and mainline don't accept machine types any more starting there).
March 14, 2013 06:27PM
Hi Bodhi.

This uBoot is a little bit mad regarding ext3 and subfolders,
sometime it can even load the uImage to the memory (with the right size) but can't execute it.

For the freezed Arch Linux 3.1 kernel your uBoot params would work with mmc booting, but not for the 3.8.x linux-kirkwood kernel (although it does for usb booting).

For the 3.8.x linux-kirkwood kernel better create at first a small ext2 partition and put the uImage there and a second ext3 partition for the system.
Mounting in fstab the ext2 partition as /boot will promise the uImage will be update by pacman.

Here's my uBoot settings for booting Arch Linux with the latest 3.8.x linux-kirkwood kernel, a little bit cleaning may be need as not all these setting are required but this is working great for usb & mmc booting and the netconsole also.

Nand booting the original Pogoplug system didn't work for me the latest time I've tried it.
I'm planning to try repartition the nand and get Arch Linux or Debian into it,
but at first I need to figure how to flash uBoot on a bricked Pogoplug Mobile via jtag, I've got bus pirate & blaster on the way.

********* Unique **********
setenv ethaddr 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
setenv cesvcid 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

***** Network Console *****
setenv if_netconsole 'ping $serverip'
setenv ipaddr '192.168.0.230'
setenv ncip '192.168.0.220'
setenv serverip '192.168.0.220'
setenv start_netconsole 'setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;'

****** Boot Settings ******
setenv bootargs 'console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10 rootfstype=ext3 mtdparts=orion_nand:2M(u-boot),3M(uImage),3M(uImage2),8M(failsafe),112M(root)'
setenv bootcmd 'usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run mmc_bootcmd'
setenv bootdelay 10
setenv pogo_bootcmd 'if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi'
setenv preboot 'run if_netconsole start_netconsole'

****** Linux Params *******
setenv arcNumber 3960
setenv machid F78
setenv mainlineLinux yes

****** MMC Settings *******
setenv mmc_boot 'mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load mmc 0:1 0x00800000 /uImage; if ext2load mmc 0:1 0x01100000 /uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi'
setenv mmc_bootcmd 'mmc init; mmc init; run mmc_set_bootargs; run mmc_boot'
setenv mmc_root '/dev/mmcblk0p2'
setenv mmc_set_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=$console root=$mmc_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params'

****** USB Settings *******
setenv usb_boot 'mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi'
setenv usb_bootcmd 'run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot'
setenv usb_device '0:1'
setenv usb_init 'run usb_scan'
setenv usb_root '/dev/sda1'
setenv usb_rootdelay 10
setenv usb_rootfstype ext3
setenv usb_scan 'usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done'
setenv usb_scan_1 'usb=0:1 dev=sda1'
setenv usb_scan_2 'usb=1:1 dev=sdb1'
setenv usb_scan_3 'usb=2:1 dev=sdc1'
setenv usb_scan_4 'usb=3:1 dev=sdd1'
setenv usb_scan_list '1 2 3 4'
setenv usb_set_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params'

********* Recovery **********
setenv force_rescue 0
setenv force_rescue_bootcmd 'if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd; fi'
setenv rescue_bootcmd 'if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi'
setenv rescue_installed 0
setenv rescue_set_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params'

****** Nand Settings ******
setenv partition 'nand0,2'
setenv mtddevname 'uImage2'
setenv mtddevnum 2
setenv mtdids 'nand0=orion_nand'
setenv mtdparts 'mtdparts=orion_nand:2M(u-boot),3M(uImage),3M(uImage2),8M(failsafe),112M(root)'
setenv ubifs_bootcmd 'run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && ubifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; fi'
setenv ubifs_mtd 3
setenv ubifs_set_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params'

****** Misc Hardware ******
setenv led_error 'orange blinking'
setenv led_exit 'green off'
setenv led_init 'green blinking'
setenv baudrate 115200
setenv console 'ttyS0,115200'
setenv ethact egiga0

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 11:54AM by dhead666.
March 15, 2013 12:04AM
If it's bricked, did you try UART booting? see here: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,7852
March 15, 2013 03:56AM
Jeez Bodhi, how did I miss that ?
I kept the wires soldered to the serial port, so it was only a matter of unscrewing the box and connecting to usb-ttl, like 30 seconds of labor.
I did get the "xmodem: Bad message" and had to run kwboot over and over for 10 min' until it started uploading the uboot, but when it did it all that needed were 20 seconds and the pogoplug was back from the deads, up and running with my previous uboot params, splendid !

Too bad that I'm going to install tvheadend on it and give it away to my old folks, I was wishing to program it via jtag.
March 16, 2013 12:04PM
Just found one more thing, the swap space is not enabled for SD card boot. To enable it, you will need to edit the /etc/fstab and replace the line
/dev/sda2   none           swap    sw 0 0
with
/dev/mmcblk0p2   none           swap    sw 0 0
or add it if not exist.
It will be important considering the small ram space available for Pogoplug Mobile.
April 09, 2013 05:00PM
Hello,

Thanks for taking your time to post a guide and helping others. I have to admit, that I'm quite a newbie at this though, and I'm not totally sure where to put the ENV and NAND, for it to flash and install the uBoot?

I bought the Pogoplug Mobile and wish to build the Vortex VAMP with it. Is that possible? Here is the link: http://vortexbox.org/content/150-Building-the-VAMP
April 10, 2013 01:43AM
Gapp,

Currently, this installation is condensed, and does not have step-by-step instruction (it meant for users who are already familiar with installing uBoot and Debian for these plug computers). For example, if you have run Jeff's script to install a Dockstar, or a Pogoplug E02, and kind of familiar with his script, then it is OK to proceed.

When I have time I will make it a detailed guide. ATM, unfortunately I don't have enough free time to do that. If you study the steps and ask questions, others will jump in to help.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2013 01:45AM by bodhi.
Re: [Pogoplug Mobile/Series 4] Install uBoot/Debian
April 10, 2013 03:22AM
Okay, that's fully understandable. I must admit, that I like tooling around with these things, and I have a little bit of "experience", since I got my first NAS recently, and I used Putty to SSH that one aswell, so I'm not a complete lost cause. :)

If I knew where to put the files, when I have downloaded them, I think I would be alright with it, since the steps are pretty self explanatory.

This is what I've done so far:

cd /tmp
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/nanddump
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/nandwrite
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/flash_erase
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/fw_printenv
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/fw_env.config
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/files/environment/uboot.environment

After this, I downloaded 'uboot.environment' and 'uboot.nandpogoV4-MMC-mtdparts-noSATA.kwb.tar', but I'm unsure on where to place them, do I just put them down in respectivly: '/usr/sbin/flash_erase' & '/usr/sbin/nandwrite', or am are the two jobs totally indepenant themselves? Then I'll research it a bit more in their threads.

Thankful for all the help I can get.
April 10, 2013 11:55AM
Gapp,

You should do everything from /tmp directory. So download and execute commands there. When the commands is in /usr/bin, then it was installed before. If you start with Pogo OS, they are not installed, after downloaded and did chmod +x, you need to execute them from /tmp.

One friendly warning: you will need serial console to recover from any problem that might happen while doing this. So I'd suggest making sure you read the forum and understand what each command suppose to do. Usually, the installation is automated with a script, like Jeff's install squeeze or wheezy script so no mistake could happen. otoh, the manual steps are prone to typos and all that, and since we dealing with NAND, one small typo and you'll have a brick :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2013 12:05PM by bodhi.
April 13, 2013 07:19AM
Okay, that makes sense. I'm gonna get he serial console, just to be clear about it. :)

I'm curious, considering Mobile uses a different processor than the V2 of pogoplug for example. Would it be possible to build the VAMP from a Mobile unit? From this link: http://vortexbox.org/content/150-Building-the-VAMP
April 13, 2013 03:14PM
Gapp,

It should work. The Mobile and E02 processors are in the same family.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
uboot.nandpogoV4-MMC-mtdparts-noSATA.kwb no longer seems to be available at the link provided. Does anybody know of another source or have the original file they can put up somewhere? I'd really like to get debian and SD booting working.
Nevermind, found it on davygravy's file store. Thanks!
Just wanted to say a big thanks to bodhi and gravy and dhead666 for putting all this great info on the net. Got my pogoplug a couple days ago and now have arch booting from sd with LEDs working, etc.
July 19, 2013 11:20PM
where can i find the uboot.nandpogoV4-MMC-mtdparts-noSATA.kwb?? thanks very much
July 20, 2013 01:03AM
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.