Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Netgear stora upgrade steps?

Posted by arclight 
Netgear stora upgrade steps?
December 28, 2021 03:29AM
So I dug out the old Netgear stora is was given years ago and was wondering about giving it a new lease of life. As it stands it is all stock.

What are the best steps to upgrade the device to a better unoot and Debian install?

And once done what sort of performance can I expect? I'm looking to run either JBOD or Raid 0 with two 1tb WD green drives. I'm thinking of using it for my pi cluster, ideally as the network file store and if possible for pxe boot for the os for the 4 pi's. But pxe will depend on the network performance.

Many thanks.
Re: Netgear stora upgrade steps?
December 28, 2021 03:44PM
arclight,

> What are the best steps to upgrade the device to a
> better unoot and Debian install?

See the Wiki thread:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,23630

Latest Linux Kirkwood kernel and rootfs
Latest Kirkwood u-boots

Install Latest Kirkwood Debian rootfs and U-boot from stock OS

> And once done what sort of performance can I
> expect?

It is a very basic rootfs (to make it as small as I can). So any performance tuning must be done on your own. So see the Wiki post for various performance tuning settings (eg. network, NFS, Samba...) after you installed.

There is no guarantee that it will perform as well as stock OS. Our goal here is to run the latest Linux kernel, and Debian distro on these boxes. The rest is up to users to tailor their systems.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.