Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian on NSA325v2 and NSA310?

Posted by tmcatalin 
Debian on NSA325v2 and NSA310?
March 12, 2022 09:58PM
Hi,

I just found this forum and I read very interesting info.
I need your advice regarding my Zyxel NASs: 1 x NSA325v2 (functional, used daily, with ffp installed) and 1 x NSA310 (functional but shutdown).

Here are my many questions:
- should I try upgrading them to Debian?
- what are the advantages (beside security patches) on using Debian vs factory firmware (+ffp)?
- is it recommended Debian or OpenWRT? I just learned here is such alternative
- is the performance affected when running Debian? Now my NAS is used just for storage and rarely with Transmission
- what will happen with the data I have on HDDs? I remember something about not being recognized
- can I perform the change using a blank HDD and later one to plug the existing ones?
- are important differences between 310 and 325 when doing the change to Debian? I am thinking to start with 310 to learn and only after to move on 325.
- what would be the topics on this forum to read carefully before?
- what else I must consider before? I have USB-serial adapter

Thank you!
Re: Debian on NSA325v2 and NSA310?
March 13, 2022 04:43PM
tmcatalin,

> Here are my many questions:
> - should I try upgrading them to Debian?

These are old boxes so it is a good idea to install Debian so you can run the latest kernel and Debian.

> - what are the advantages (beside security
> patches) on using Debian vs factory firmware
> (+ffp)?

The advantages/disadvantages depending on how much time you are willing to spend installing new Debian packages to replace what's in stock OS. And that is an advantage for some people (stock OS is so bad and not acceptable). But a disavantage to people who just want to run a full Linux distribution like Ubuntu/Mint.

> - is the performance affected when running Debian?

Since the rootfs I release is a very minimal rootfs (intentionally kept it as small as I can), performance tuning will be needed (look at the Wiki thread). The Debian default settings are not bad. But if you want to maximize the potentials, then you will need to do extra works in changing the default settings.

It's a learning experience for beginners, and a no-bloat rootfs for experience users.

> Now my NAS is used just for storage and rarely
> with Transmission
> - what will happen with the data I have on HDDs? I
> remember something about not being recognized

If you boot with USB rootfs then the HDD data is intact.

> - can I perform the change using a blank HDD and
> later one to plug the existing ones?

Good idea to unplug the existing HDDs, and install on a blank HDD. But you'll need to prepare the HDD on another LInux box. Or boot with USB rootfs first.

> - are important differences between 310 and 325
> when doing the change to Debian? I am thinking to
> start with 310 to learn and only after to move on
> 325.

NSA325 is nicer for 1st installation. The NSA310 does not have ethernet during new u-boot booting.

> - what would be the topics on this forum to read
> carefully before?

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,12381

> - what else I must consider before? I have
> USB-serial adapter

Connect serial console during installation so you can see all activities when the system is booting.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 15, 2022 09:30AM
Thank you. I will prepare myself and comeback with questions if needed. My only fear is to loose the data...
March 15, 2022 01:38PM
> Thank you. I will prepare myself and comeback with
> questions if needed. My only fear is to loose the
> data...

Make a back up of the data before you do anything else.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.