Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No cron daemon in bookworm tarball?

Posted by dehn 
No cron daemon in bookworm tarball?
March 30, 2024 07:28AM
Hi,

Recently I tried to setup a cron job, but found no cron daemon installed, neither crond, anacron nor busybox cron. Is that intentional?
Is there a recommendation of a minimal and efficient cron package to install?

It's not too important, as I have other ways for what i want o do.

Cheers,
Daniel
Re: No cron daemon in bookworm tarball?
March 30, 2024 01:31PM
Daniel,

The rootfs is basic rootfs with only a few necessary packages installed. It is a debootstrap rootfs, and the following packages installed on top:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096
- Installed packages: nano, avahi, ntp, busybox-syslogd (log to RAM), htop, isc-dhcp-client, dialog, bzip2, nfs server/client, iperf, ethtool, sysvinit-core, sysvinit, sysvinit-utils, u-boot-tools, libubootenv-tool, mtd-utils, and orphan-sysvinit-scripts.

So whenever you see something is not available, you should go ahead and install it yourself. For the experienced Linux users, it's a barebone system so they can install whatever is needed. For the beginners, it's a Linux learning vehicle.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 30, 2024 01:35PM
ok, thanks!
April 02, 2024 07:00AM
For anyone interested in this topic: I ended up installing the standard cron daemon and disabled all system cron tasks in the config, because I only need mine.
I also pondered to install the package 'busybox-static', which would replace 'busybox', because it contains a small cron daemon. But the possible problems with kernel and initramfs, and also apparent configuration syntax incompatibilities let me stay away from that.

Cheers,
dehn
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.