Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ready nas duo cannot stop boot timeout contdown

Posted by gigirock 
Ready nas duo cannot stop boot timeout contdown
June 08, 2024 09:16AM
EDIT: I have some issue with the USB-RS232 dongle I fixed some soldering issue e now I can work as usual, so now I can boot ( ext2 ) the debian solution on usb , what is the way to install Debian on MTD ?
Is it useful to have Debian on MTD ?
Is it better to install to boot from HDD ?

Many thanks for your support and patience

Hi all,
First of all I want to mention the friend of everyboy here , Mr Bodhi , I think he is the patience man on the earth.
I came from previous experiences where I installed Debian on Buffalo or Seagate NAS ,and some other activities on Qnap devices. So I can say I know the issues but this time I'm facing a bigger problem with this Ready Nas duo V2,
The device is a Model RND-2B , PRODUCT NUMBER RND2000-200EUS
The device worked for years in a small office offering backup for some Win PC's and a CentOS server. Due to the space problems to the 2 500Gb HDD disks , customer take a decision to buy another ready nas with 2 1Tb disk, that is actually working with stock software without problems.
So I take the old Ready nas duo e my intention is to install the latest Debian useful for this ARM device.
The device booted with errors and so I take the decision to reinstall stock software so I follow the manual instruction :
Device connected to my lan ( and so connected to Internet)
Two brand new SATA disks 500Gb
Power on ( power supply connected )
press power button + backup button
Factory reset operation ( 5.1.3 version )
After some hours (?!?!?)
The device rebooted and using tyy interface I can check for no errors
but :
- I can't see any ssh or telnet port open
- I can't see any shared directory on the network
- if I try to access the http port I have ssl not supported version with 2 different browser
- I can connect the TTY port on the rear of the chassis but I cannot 'write' any command only receive from device
- I tested with minicom screen kwboot but always without success on write to the serial port
I guess the only method to install debian is to prepare a usb stick with the Debian files on it and proceed the installation using "reinstall OS fuction".
But the last word is waiting from bodhi or other hack-nas-guru like you are.

I attach the kwboot log and the nmap results.

GigiRock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2024 02:36PM by gigirock.
Attachments:
open | download - kwboot.log (14.9 KB)
open | download - Schermata_20240608_155630.png (61.7 KB)
Re: Ready nas duo cannot stop boot timeout contdown
June 08, 2024 03:23PM
GigiRock ,

> EDIT: I have some issue with the USB-RS232 dongle
> I fixed some soldering issue e now I can work as
> usual, so now I can boot ( ext2 ) the debian
> solution on usb , what is the way to install
> Debian on MTD ?
> Is it useful to have Debian on MTD ?
> Is it better to install to boot from HDD ?
>

Yes. Install to rootfs on HDD. MTD space is too small for Debian. See the Wiki thread

Kirkwood plugs

Basic steps to install Debian and new u-boot on Kirkwood boxes
Boot Kirkwood rootfs with stock u-boot

Latest Linux Kirkwood kernel and rootfs
Latest Kirkwood u-boots

BTW, the way you ran kwboot was just like running minicom/picocom, i.e as a serial console terminal. kwboot is used to load a u-boot image over serial and run it. So when you said kwboot, I was thinking you were booting a different u-boot!

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
June 08, 2024 04:43PM
Ok , professor I did a mistake , i will study better for the next session :)

Anyway the terminal session given by kwboot is more precious than minicom, specially when you have to cut and paste the command taken from the web browser.

Ok I will install in hdd , but first I want to try gpt and ext4 , just for fun and curiosity.

Have a good sleep , people
June 08, 2024 04:49PM
> Ok I will install in hdd , but first I want to try
> gpt and ext4 , just for fun and curiosity.

Stock Kirkwood u-boots are too old, so I think high probabilty is that this box u-boot does not support GPT or Ext4.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
June 09, 2024 07:18AM
Yes I check it, so I will contnue with 'standard' install.

But I can't find your guide/docs, there are a lot of infos about to create usb dongle and boot from it but I can't find the instruction to install on hd and then boot from hdd as default.
June 09, 2024 02:21PM
gigirock,

> But I can't find your guide/docs, there are a lot
> of infos about to create usb dongle and boot from
> it but I can't find the instruction to install on
> hd and then boot from hdd as default.

Right! because the installation is exactly the same for Kirkwood boxes that have new u-boot support.

For boxes that don't have new u-boot, I only have installation procedure for USB drives. But it is quite easy to adjust that for HDD installation. If you want to start installing for HDD, I'll post additional instruction.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
June 09, 2024 02:54PM
Hi Bodhi,
I will wait for your instruction the goal for me is to install last Debian OS and so boot from hdd, nowdays operating system are too large for our poor and old NAND.

Many thanks in advance about your help.

GiGirock
June 09, 2024 04:58PM
GiGirock,

This is the new section 3 in the instruction "Boot Kirkwood rootfs with stock u-boot".

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,102054,105374#msg-105374

3. Booting with stock u-boot that supports sata (ide command), ext2load, and run commands

Assuming you have created a HDD rootfs following the instruction in the release thread.

Power up, interrupt u-boot count down, and then.

setenv ide_set_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 earlyprintk=serial'
setenv load_uimage 'ext2load ide 0:1 0x800000 /boot/uImage'
setenv load_uinitrd 'ext2load ide 0:1 0x2100000 /boot/uInitrd'
setenv ide_boot 'mw 0x800000 0 1; run load_uimage; run load_uinitrd; bootm 0x800000 0x2100000'
setenv ide_bootcmd 'run ide_set_bootargs; run ide_boot'
setenv bootcmd 'ide reset; run ide_bootcmd; reset'
And then,
printenv
boot

Since setenvs are transient, after test boot a few times with the above setenvs, you can proceed to make the envs permanent before boot
saveenv
boot

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.