Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Kernel 4.4.133 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs

Posted by bodhi 
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.123 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 23, 2018 03:16PM
Kernel linux-4.4.123-oxnas-tld-1 package was uploaded. Please see 1st post for download link.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.117 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 25, 2018 11:40PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ShapeShifter499 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Hi bodhi,
> >
> > Can you please compile support for the
> "cdc_ether"
> > and "cdc_acm" modules in the kernel? I need
> it
> > so I can make use of ethernet over usb and the
> > "ethernet gadget" mode of the raspberry pi
> zero.
>
> I'll take a look.

Any feedback for kernel 4.4.123-oxnas-tld-1?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.117 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 28, 2018 03:00AM
It boots but I'm having a hard time getting my Raspberry Pi Zeros working using Ethernet gadget mode. They do not work trying to use "brctl" to bridge the Pogoplug ethernet with the Pi Zero usb0 interface.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.123 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 28, 2018 03:48AM
Bodhi,

I found out why I had an issue. Connecting the Pi Zero to my laptop in ethernet gadget mode the module "cdc_eem" gets loaded. "cdc_eem" is still missing on the Pogoplug. Can you fix that please?
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.123 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 28, 2018 05:06AM
Sure, it will be in the new stable kernel 4.4.124.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.123 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 28, 2018 05:12AM
BTW, you should get a listing of CDC related modules runing on your Pi Zero and post here. That will help.

lsmod

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.123 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 28, 2018 08:28AM
Bodhi,

I'm fairly certain that 'cdc_eem' is the required module now but below is a list of modules running on my Raspberry Pi Zero.

[root@alarmpi alarm]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
bcm2835_rng            16384  0
rng_core               16384  1 bcm2835_rng
fixed                  16384  0
uio_pdrv_genirq        16384  0
uio                    16384  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
sch_fq_codel           20480  2
snd_bcm2835            32768  0
snd_pcm                94208  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_timer              32768  1 snd_pcm
snd                    65536  3 snd_timer,snd_bcm2835,snd_pcm
usb_f_eem              16384  1
g_ether                16384  0
usb_f_rndis            24576  2 g_ether
u_ether                20480  3 g_ether,usb_f_rndis,usb_f_eem
libcomposite           49152  3 g_ether,usb_f_rndis,usb_f_eem
dwc2                  131072  0
udc_core               49152  5 dwc2,u_ether,usb_f_rndis,libcomposite,usb_f_eem
ip_tables              24576  0
x_tables               24576  1 ip_tables
ipv6                  434176  30
[root@alarmpi alarm]# 
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.123 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 29, 2018 08:46PM
Bodhi,

Any updates with the kernel?
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.123 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 29, 2018 08:54PM
ShapeShifter499 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bodhi,
>
> Any updates with the kernel?

I'm preparing to upload as we speak.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 30, 2018 03:27PM
Kernel linux-4.4.124-oxnas-tld-1 package was uploaded. Please see 1st post for download link.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 01, 2018 08:52AM
Bodhi,

Thank you for compiling the kernel modules I needed. I just tested and my Raspberry Pi Zeros are now properly detected and I was able to bridge the Ethernet port with the Pi Zeros. I'm now using my Pogoplug to share internet to my Pi Zeros. I plan on using the Pogoplug as the master to share tasks with each Pi in a docker swarm.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 01, 2018 03:04PM
ShapeShifter499,

Fantastic! If you'd like, please post your setup with pics (when you have them) in a new Debian thread. I would love to add this to the Wiki thread.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 01, 2018 09:19PM
Bodhi,

Do you want me to explain the bridge network setup with the Pis? I have yet to set up docker and I'm new to docker so it'd be a while before I could post on that bit.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 01, 2018 11:09PM
ShapeShifter499,

> Do you want me to explain the bridge network setup
> with the Pis?

Yes. I think the bridge setup would be a good topic. No need to include docker.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 03, 2018 10:53AM
HI,

today my pogo became unresponsive (no replyon pings etc) so i looked at the serial console and i see the following message repeating in every ~second:

ICMPv6: ndisc: ndisc_alloc_skb failed to allocate an skb

Tried to log in on the console, but it did not work.

Any idea what could cause this?

(kernel is 4.4.117)
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 04, 2018 03:45PM
schnee,

> ICMPv6: ndisc: ndisc_alloc_skb failed to allocate an skb

I have not come acrossed this error before. There was a related issue a few years ago, but the proposed patch was widthdrawn/rejected:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/358850/

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 21, 2018 08:58PM
Bodhi,

The Pi Zeros in Ethernet gadget mode connected to the Pogoplug results in duplicate MAC addresses, I've decided to switch to using USB-Ethernet adapters for each Pi Zero I own instead to get around the issue. You may remove the modules I requested in future builds if you want, unless someone else here wants them.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 21, 2018 11:16PM
ShapeShifter499,

> The Pi Zeros in Ethernet gadget mode connected to
> the Pogoplug results in duplicate MAC addresses,
> I've decided to switch to using USB-Ethernet
> adapters for each Pi Zero I own instead to get
> around the issue. You may remove the modules I
> requested in future builds if you want, unless
> someone else here wants them.

Is there anything we can do on the Pogoplug to help that duplicate MAC addresses issue?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 22, 2018 09:48PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there anything we can do on the Pogoplug to
> help that duplicate MAC addresses issue?


No there isn't, I have fixed the issue. It had absolutely nothing to do with MAC addresses or the Pogoplug itself. It was a extremely simple but hard to figure out issue if you had no idea about it before.

Finally someone on a IRC chat pointed out the issue. All 4 of my Raspberry Pi Zeros had the same exact machine-id located in /etc/machine-id. The simple solution was to zero out the file (keeping it's permissions) and reboot so that the OS would generate a new unique machine-id. I was using Arch Linux Arm and their Raspberry Pi builds had included a ID in the /etc/machine-id which got inadvertently copied to all 4 Pi Zeros. Seems systemd-networkd and possibly other DHCP clients make use of /etc/machine-id to aid in generating a device specific IPv6 address which is why I was seeing duplicate IPv6 addresses.

Maybe some stuff could be tweaked but in my case it's a much faster internet connection using a USB Ethernet adapter for the two Pis that has no Wifi instead of Ethernet gadget mode. The bottleneck probably lies with the USB 2.0 controller of the Pogoplug but I'm not really sure. I'm going to continue using the 2 Pi Zeros with USB Ethernet adapters and the other 2 Pi Zero W I have with Wifi since it seems faster.



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2018 09:53PM by ShapeShifter499.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 22, 2018 11:45PM
ShapeShifter499,

> No there isn't, I have fixed the issue. It had
> absolutely nothing to do with MAC addresses or the
> Pogoplug itself. It was a extremely simple but
> hard to figure out issue if you had no idea about
> it before.
>
> Finally someone on a IRC chat pointed out the
> issue. All 4 of my Raspberry Pi Zeros had the
> same exact machine-id located in /etc/machine-id.
> The simple solution was to zero out the file
> (keeping it's permissions) and reboot so that the
> OS would generate a new unique machine-id.

Cool.

When you reuse the rootfs, there are quite a few cases like that. udev rules, netatalk, TimeMachine,.. they all generate specific IDs for their instances. So we need to be aware and clean them before reuse.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Hi,

I guess that it seems like an issue related to out of memory. Can you check out /proc/pagetypeinfo when you reproduce it ?
sorry for duplicate messages:

Hi schnee,

I guess that it seems like an issue related to out of memory. Can you check out /proc/pagetypeinfo or /proc/meminfo when you reproduce it ?
If you can't log-in on the console, you'd better set-up a swap device on your pogo to increase the amount of available memory.

schnee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HI,
>
> today my pogo became unresponsive (no replyon
> pings etc) so i looked at the serial console and
> i see the following message repeating in every
> ~second:
>
>
> ICMPv6: ndisc: ndisc_alloc_skb failed to allocate
> an skb
>
>
> Tried to log in on the console, but it did not
> work.
>
> Any idea what could cause this?
>
> (kernel is 4.4.117)
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 24, 2018 08:11AM
coolvi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi schnee,
>
> I guess that it seems like an issue related to out
> of memory. Can you check out /proc/pagetypeinfo or
> /proc/meminfo when you reproduce it ?
> If you can't log-in on the console, you'd better
> set-up a swap device on your pogo to increase the
> amount of available memory.
>

Thanks for the suggestion. Apparently it was not possible to log into the device on console and on ssh too. The device do have a swap file setup:

root@sch:/etc# cat fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
LABEL=rootfs    /               ext4    noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults          0       0
LABEL=home      /home           ext2    noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/swapfile1      none            swap    sw                0       0

and the swap file is active. I can increase the swap size, but since the post i did not experienced the issue again
schnee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the suggestion. Apparently it was not
> possible to log into the device on console and on
> ssh too. The device do have a swap file setup:
>
> ...
>
> and the swap file is active. I can increase the
> swap size, but since the post i did not
> experienced the issue again

All right. :)

Just in case, I have changed the value of /proc/sys/vm/swappiness and /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes on my pogo v3 not to encounter out of memory.

Here is my additional settings for /etc/sysctl.conf:

# set swappiness (default 60, the more swappiness the more swap out)
vm.swappiness=100

# increase min_free_kbytes for earlier page reclaim (default 1363)
vm.min_free_kbytes=3072

Anyway hope it helps.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 24, 2018 02:07PM
coolvi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All right. :)
>
> Just in case, I have changed the value of
> /proc/sys/vm/swappiness and
> /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes on my pogo v3 not to
> encounter out of memory.
>
> Here is my additional settings for
> /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> # set swappiness (default 60, the more swappiness
> the more swap out)
> vm.swappiness=100
>
> # increase min_free_kbytes for earlier page
> reclaim (default 1363)
> vm.min_free_kbytes=3072
>
> Anyway hope it helps.

Thanks. Added this to my config
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
April 24, 2018 06:43PM
This is a better set of values that I've been using for Dockstar and Pogo Pro V3 (i.e. plugs that have only 128MB RAM).

Dockstar
vm.min_free_kbytes = 65536
vm.swappiness = 10

Pogo V3
vm.min_free_kbytes = 8192
vm.swappiness = 10


vm.swappiness could set to somewhere you feel like from 10 to 60.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2018 06:50PM by bodhi.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.124 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
May 05, 2018 07:17AM
Thanks for the updated kernel, just installed seems to be working great.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.133 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
May 28, 2018 03:50PM
Kernel linux-4.4.133-oxnas-tld-1 package was uploaded. Please see 1st post for download link.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Author:

Your Email:


Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: